Saturday, December 29, 2018

Sleepless in Seattle, An Affair to Remember

Lauren Spagnoletti for PJ Media makes a list of 5 movies to help ring in the new year. They're kind of goofy movies except Ocean 11 and Trading Places are okay, I guess. I haven't seen Sleepless in Seattle or When Harry Met Sally, but I've seen so many clips of them it's close to seeing the whole film, and each time I go, "Naaaah."  And I never even heard of Radio Days. It sounds awful.

And hearing "Auld Lang Syne" makes me want to throw a ceramic cup across the room. It reminds me too much of so many drunken men and women grabbing me and squeezing me and kissing me for us having survived another year on Earth and then pissing off for the rest of the whole year. It's alcohol-fueled overly maudlin and empty, three of the worst things together.

The article sucks. Except for Ocean 11 and Trading Places.

In comments. "The scene in Sleepless in Seattle where Tom Hanks mocks An Affair to Remember "That's a chick's move!" is classic.

Oh? I wouldn't know. Let's see. YouTube [sleepless in seattle, affair to remember].


Okay. I concede. The whole instant flip thing was kind of funny. Nice touch.

5 comments:

edutcher said...

Ocean's is one of those movies that actually captures the feel of a moment in time.

Anybody who missed the 50s and wants to know how it felt could also see North By Northwest.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Trading Places and Ed's suggestion of North by Northwest are excellent, but a flawed list without the Poseidon Adventure!

ricpic said...

I don't know if it's a New Years Eve Song, though I've often heard it sung on New Years Eve, but I like the From Here To Eternity song: Gentlemen rankers off on a spree...doomed from here to eternity...Lord have mercy on such as we...baa baa baa. Or maybe it's the Baa Baa Baa song.

Does New Years Eve require an apostrophe? New Year's Eve?

ricpic said...

The Big Lebowski is a good film to watch on New Year's Eve just on general principles. "Shut up, Donnie!"

ampersand said...

Years ago on New Year's Eve a local station played "Risate di Gioia: with Anna Magnani, Ben Gazzara and Toto. It takes place on New Years Eve and concerns a clueless film extra (Magnani) who keeps screwing up the plans of a Thief (Gazzara) and his hapless accomplice (Toto). They only released an Italian dvd but with no English subtitles even though the movie underwent a expensive 4k restoration. Luckily someone posted the whole thing on You Tube last year with subtitles. I was able to download and transfer it to DVD and enjoy it again.

"the Apartment" also spans the week between Christmas and New Years Eve.

There was one local station that used to alternate among W.C. Fields, the Marx Brothers and Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers movies starting on New Years Eve to the next day.

The Germans have a tradition of watching this English Skit, Dinner for One, but no one seems to knows why.