Friday, August 17, 2018

Ginger ale fail

The liquid tasted great before fermentation but after fermentation it tasted like the worst beer ever brewed. I poured out all five quarts. There was more sludge on the bottom than yeast that was added, and I realized, if it's anything like bread then the yeast multiplies in there exponentially until all of the sugar is consumed.


After just a few days the bottles were foaming like mad. When I burped the bottles they popped open with a loud report, foamed up, spit and spurted, and made a mess, roiled inside with tiny particles rising from the bottom and circulating, foaming out of the jars.

Within just a few days the lids were bulging so I put them in the refrigerator. Carefully. One wrong move and BLAM! I wanted them to chill out before opening. Wary of making a mess I pulled out a large bowl to catch the overflow that was certain. Clever, eh?

I put the camera on a tripod so you can see the explosion. First I'm showing the large amount of yeast residue on the bottom, except it doesn't show. Brace yourself.


Psych!

Dead as a doornail. 

What a bummer!

I hate it just for that, right there. 

Eeeew, you dith-pickable juith. 

It tasted horrible.

I tried to repair it by adding sugar. 

A lot of sugar.

Tasted again, added more sugar.

Tasted again, added more sugar. 

Tasted again, added more sugar. 

I was beginning to think this cannot be repaired.

So I added more sugar. 

Tasted again and added more sugar. 

Tasted again. This crap has too much sugar. 

And it still tasted horrible. 

I drank a pint and I think I got a little bit drunk. On the worst alcoholic beverage in history of mankind.

And that taught me a valuable lesson.

Don't do that.

12 comments:

windbag said...

My parents used to make root beer. We kept it in mason jars on the shelves in the staircase going to down our cellar. Yummy stuff. I never considered making ginger ale at home.

XRay said...

Never know unless you try.

deborah said...

Well, that's 36 seconds I'll never get back. Prolly from what you've posted using a soda pop maker using my own recipe would be easiest for my Christmas ginger ale. Spike-able, as the occasion dictates.

MamaM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MamaM said...

Eeeew,

Aye!

Maybe an aye-plus!!

Wondering now, deborah, if you already own and use a soda pop maker, or it would be one of the ingredients needed for your mixer?

chickelit said...

My idea of homemade soda is to get some Torani syrup and add carbonated water.

deborah said...

Had to look that up, chick. Looks good. I was thinking about one of those carbonated beverage machines...

deborah said...

I asked my ninety-something aunt if anyone she knew used to make root beer. She said her mother-in-law had. I asked if it was fizzy, and she said very.

MamaM said...

Did you happen to catch Dickin's recommendation over on the post where the ginger-ale was being hatched and perking along? She recommended Bruce Cost as the best ginger ale around which was almost enough to cause me to look for it in the store.

Here it is online: https://www.amazon.com/Bruce-Cost-Fresh-Ginger-Original/dp/B004RTQURM

WWIII Joe Biden, Husk-Puppet + America's Putin said...

I'm telling ya - it's good store bought ginger ale.

Thanks, mama. Right on.

WWIII Joe Biden, Husk-Puppet + America's Putin said...

It is hard to find in stores. I think Whole Paycheck has it.

MamaM said...

When I find some, Dickin' and partake, I will think of you and toast the power of the internet.

The other liquid recommendation I received and use came from ChipA via blog for Awesome Cleaner from the dollar store.