Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Turmeric

The old man was stacking vegetables artfully from a cart.

"What are these?"

"That's turmeric root."

"Oh.

Hare Krishna, Dudes.




Turmeric flowers.

But what is cow dung dirt? 

Ew, ew, lemme guess, lemme guess, lemme guess. Dry cow dung, innit. You guys are gross.


All videos say turmeric stains like a sumanabitch. Use gloves.

Nutritional videos say turmeric is not easily absorbed. Most is processed out. To overcome this shortcoming combine it with freshly ground black pepper. Black pepper increases absorption 2000%, bypassing the liver and taken directly into the bloodstream. It's oil-soluable and it is heat-activated. For maximum absorption it is best cooked in oil with black pepper.

Cabbage and potato recipe.

I am totally grooving on Napa cabbage. Best of all the cabbages. I'm going to do this but microwave a potato and stage Napa cabbage last. I have a turmeric-less Asian version that is top of my favorite list. I just cannot get enough of the stuff. But with shrimp.

This dude talks funny.

Hare Krishna, y'all.


3 comments:

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Black pepper? Good to know! Tumeric is a form of ginger (closely related) but the tubers do look buggy.

deborah said...

I guess I have to research turmeric. Great info about the pepper, etc. At the thrift shop today I got a cool grater. It's about one inch wide and one foot long, with a pretty fine grate. I'm thinking it would be good for ginger root or lemon zesting...

ricpic said...

Tumeric is supposed to be all around good for your health, so I sprinkle turmeric powder on my food. Does it help? who knows.