Saturday, October 7, 2017

The water is wide...

Propinquity, makes me think of Pachinko, not because I am like Japanese people, but because of the sound of the word. I can imagine a Propinquity Parlor full of my family members being louder than a Pachinko parlor in Tokyo. But that is not what I am here to talk about today, no it is not.

Two weeks ago I drove way down east to go to a wedding. The map says it is 130 miles from my house to the site in the woods where the couple got their nuptials toasted, but my odometer suggests it was over 150 miles, making it the longest drive I have made this century. The wedding was good, and I had a good time. I grabbed a beer to drink when I got home and ghosted. Made an Irish exit. They looked around and said "Where is he? He was just here! But now he is not!" Yep, I was just that slick.

Since I had never been to that area before I felt I had to visit the river. It was just 3 miles through the woods and bam, there it is, a state park with an overlook. I may have mentioned in the past that I live near a river. It's called a river, but in most places, at least when it's not flooding, it would be called a creek. Well what do you know, by the time it reaches the ocean it truly becomes a river. I live upper reaches of what becomes a two mile wide river when it reaches the Pamlico sound. It has strong currents, waves and tidal fluctuations. Which reminds me of a joke, but now is not the time.

I got lost on my way down and spent too much time exploring the area around the fall line - where the Piedmont becomes the coastal plane. One missed exit led to a tour of an area that I find fascinating, great geology, interesting terrain. I eventually got back on track and it was a nice little detour.

Heading home I noticed that the coastal plain, at least the portion I traversed, was 100 miles across. Then you start to hit towns with the word "Mill" or "Mills" in the name - a sure sign that one has reached the fall line. The sunset that day was beautiful - I think the wild fires in the west contributed to the great colors.





I am not going to wade in the water, nope.

There was a bright and persistent sun dog - it hung over the town where my next oldest brother was born just over 72 years ago. A portent? A sign? Well, I'll leave that to others to discern.

11 comments:

ricpic said...

I felt particularly foolish not knowing what a sun dog was so I looked it up:

A sundog, also know as sun dog, mock sun or parhelion, consists of glowing spots around the sun. They are created by sunlight refracting off ice crystals in cirrus clouds. Best seen when the sun is near the horizon.

Spots? More like diffuse glowing. Milky sky (those cirrus clouds) with like a w-i-i-d-e sun. Plus, I was always sleepy in the back of the car near sundown so whaddaIknow.

Chip Ahoy said...

I like your story.

Your link is not working because you have the address within apostrophes and not quotation marks.

But you don't need to code it. The editor does links for you by c/p address. There's a button for links.

Also, you can display the video here instead of linking to YouTube.

Control B on the video at YouTube, a menu appears. Select "copy embed code." It automatically copies the code to your computer's clipboard.

Then come back here to editor and type xxxxxxxxx where you want your video to appear. Best to center the x's.

Then select "HTML" in this here editor and the code for this page shows. Use Command F (on a mac) for search and type a few xxx's to be taken directly to the spot on the page. Select through your xxxxxxx sequence and paste your code.

The address is still on your clipboard in case you mess up.

Change the dimensions to fit Lem's pages. I use 525 width and 315 height. Choose "Compose" button next to "html" button and observe the glory of your magnificent coding and mad editing skills.

*squeaky ventriloquist voice*

"Stop bossing me around."

*normal voice*

"Okay fine. Jeez, just trying to be helpful"

The Dude said...

Ah, better. I will learn, slowly but slowly.

Trooper York said...

Great post.

You are an important new voice here at Lem's.

We need to cover the goober demo.

Thanks.

deborah said...

Thanks, Sixty, sounds like a great day.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Great post. I want to go fishing there.

chickelit said...

Knowledge of that river is Neuse to me. But I am profoundly reminded of the Po River in Northern Italy which also rises in Piemonte and also flows from west to east. The Po River flows through all the major cites of the northern Italy and it, surely, is the reason for the rich agriculture and cuisine -- risotto, indirectly.

chickelit said...

The Po River flows through all the major cites of the northern Italy and it, surely, is the reason for the rich agriculture and cuisine -- risotto, indirectly.

The part about all major cities of Northern Italy is demonstrably false -- but those cites are in the Po Valley.

deborah said...

"A portent? A sign?"

A message?



The Dude said...

Or a coincidental happenstance of timing, location and ice crystals in the upper atmosphere. That's my story and I am sticking to it.

MamaM said...

With more than meets the eye running all through life, and the ability to see beneath the surface being a learned and an intuitive attribute that requires faith and skill, I'm not surprised when natural phenomena appear to line up in wondrous or meaningful ways.

Sticking to one's story is a good thing. As is retelling the story we believe about ourselves. As is wading in the water and noting sundogs.