Friday, October 13, 2017

KLEM FM

Overheard:

Sixty Grit wrote

Not a fan of the Allmans, they always seemed to be dying.
I had never paid attention to the 11/4 intro until I read about it yesterday - they called it "the elevens". Very nice - 1,2,3, 1,2,3, 1,2,3, ONE TWO - once you hear it in those terms it is unforgettable.

[other comment omitted] 
May 28, 2017 at 1:26 PM

Sixty was referring to the song "Whipping Post" by the Allman Brothers. He's right -- in those terms, it's unforgettable.

I want to take this KLEM FM series in a slightly different direction: unusual time signatures in rock.

First up is "Manic Depression" by the Jimi Hendrix Experience. Unfortunately, the Hendrix family has purged YouTube of any studio versions of the song, but there's a VIMEO version here if you need a refresher. I looked at the Wiki page for the song and learned that it was in 3/4 time, which is the same time signature as most waltzes. Heh. That doesn't help. The main drum groove is said to be represented as follows:


Well, I still didn't get the feel for it -- not how Sixty described the 11/4 beat in "Whipping Post." So I turned to the online drum scholars. This guy gave me my "ah ha moment." See particularly beginning at 2 min 25 sec.


I get it now!  I can see how the musical notes represent the groove.
_____________________

[added: Can you tell what this guy gets wrong?]

6 comments:

chickelit said...

"Manic Depression" -- the heaviest rock waltz ever recorded in history.

The Dude said...

The song Home, by Dream Theater. 19/16 at the end. That sounds Indian, and even after studying African polyrhythms for years even a brief foray into Indian time signatures blew my mind. I could count it, couldn't play it for more than a few measures.

Is this the place to drop some Dave Brubeck - he was the man when I was a callow yute. Sure, Take Five, we all have that one memorized, but how about some 9/8 Blue Rondo a la Turk. Count quickly - one two, one two, one two, one two three and you are there.

If that isn't a Paul Klee on the cover, it is a damn fine imitation. Klee FTW!

The Dude said...

Second dude is hitting the ride cymbal more often than first dude. I can't hear the bass drum, so if he is screwing up his pickup note on the snare I can't tell.

deborah said...

I didn't know there could be 11/4 time. I have trouble walking and chewing gum at the same time though.

I like the drums in this Paul Simon unplugged song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FEBDNJtNWk

deborah said...

Cool song, Sixty. The beginning and end reminds me of Gershwin...American in Paris(?). I like Jazz, but don't listen to it much. I should listen to it on car trips to get more of a feel for it.

Tank said...

From what I've read (I am a big Allmans fan), Gregg wrote Whipping Post and played it for his brother Duane. Duane went over it, realized it was in 11/4 time and had to explain that to Gregg (who didn't even realize it, or know what that was).

Whipping Post, the greatest blues song ever !

We saw the Tedeschi/Trucks band recently in Wilmington (great concert) shortly after Gregg passed away. Derek Trucks, nephew of Butch Trucks (Almmans drummer) played with the Brothers for many years. In the middle of one of their other songs they broke into Whipping Post and the crowd went wild; the highlight of the evening.