Friday, October 20, 2017

Melania Trump donates inaugural ball gown to Smithsonian

Where it belongs. It's not the sort of dress you can wear more than once. Come on. Because everyone's seen it.

The story here at Treehouse goes like this.

* bring bring*

"Hello, HervĂ©, this is Melania Trump. May I call you? Can we talk? I completely spaced out planning for the inaugural ball and I only have to weeks. Can you help me, ple-e-e-ease? Pretty please with sugar on top?"

And Hervé Pierre says, "And I was like "Oooooh and clasped my hands and gasped."

He sounds nice.



That was a short story.

Then down in comments over there at Conservative Treehouse, Sylvia Avery says something more interesting than this.
I try to read everything I can about her and her clothes, but it had escaped me until Treeper here mentioned months and months after the Inauguration how her gown was designed to look like a scrolled copy of old parchment complete with a ribbon tie, sort of like you would imagine the Declaration of Independence to look. Wow. Just wow.
I can see it now that it's mentioned.  How imaginative.  

And other commenters find it so too.

*  darnhardworker: Wow Sylvia, I never knew that fact so I scrolled back to a photo of it and that is EXACTLY what it was…..makes me love her even more…what a classy couple we have in our house now….and for the next 7 years…..then maybe Don jr will run.

*  Trumppin: Oh wow! I hadn’t heard this before! but yes, I can see it now!
that clears up the thing red tie for me.. I thought it odd all this time!

*  Sylvia Avery: Me, too. A detail we were told she asked to add to the dress. Now it all makes sense!

*  patriot1783: Essentially President Trump is holding the US Constitution.

*  Marquis: Embracing. So cool.

* Grandma Covfefe: Bingo!
Oh, I’m so happy the mystery of Melania dress was solved and it is now my favorite FLOTUS, of all FLOTUSes, dress.

The Trump’s World is full of symbols and codes, This is so fun for our sanity.

Thank you, President Trump and dear First Lady Melania.

*  Fe: That is an awesome comment!

*  carrierh: Sylvia, I didn’t know this because I was not using Treeper at that time. How lovely, fascinating and characteristic of her and her love as a legal American citizen to design a dress underlining our America.

And so on, for many more.


That dress really is museum-worthy. Coolest dress I've seen in a long time. If the information placard at the museum doesn't say what Sylvia Avery said then it won't do justice to this dress or to museum visitors. The card will say worn by whom and the date, the designer and the materials.

As with exhibitions of ancient Egyptian artifacts. They will describe the materials, gold, beads or seeds whatever without mentioning each bead is hieroglyph for good and beautiful. So the necklace actually says: beautiful beautiful  beautiful  beautiful  beautiful  beautiful  beautiful  beautiful  beautiful  beautiful  beautiful  beautiful  beautiful  beautiful  beautiful  beautiful  beautiful  beautiful  beautiful  beautiful  beautiful  beautiful  beautiful  beautiful  beautiful  beautiful and it was given to the King's favorite truly beautiful princess, and if you don't know that then you miss the whole stunning effect or a beautiful young girl running around the place with that necklace. 

If you don't know Melania's dress is intended to suggest a rolled parchment and for rolled parchment to suggest U.S. constitution, and I didn't, then you miss a very large part of its excellence. And that's what museums are for, to have visitors leave more informed than they were when they went into it.  

9 comments:

edutcher said...

Looks quite Attic Greek, too.

Classy.

Nice change from the Os.

chickelit said...

@edutcher: You mean you didn't like Mike's schwartz-rot ditty from election night?

chickelit said...

Mike would never give anything back to the people and The Beast would never stoop to wear a dress.

chickelit said...

I'll flat out make a prediction that in my lifetime, Dems will never again elect a POTUS with a wife who gives off even a whiff of heteronormality. That ship sailed with...

..well I don't know. But it was a long time ago.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

She looks good even the rolled up carpet...I mean scroll, you photo shopped in.

William said...

I understand Harvey's wife is having trouble moving her dress line. I'd like to see Melania wearing some of her gowns. This would demonstrate solidarity with wronged women everywhere and possibly cause a few heads to explode.........Its no big deal for a professional model to look good in clothes. That's like a professional ball player appearing at the company soft ball game......Of all the First Ladies in my lifetime, I think Laura Bush was the most appealing.

edutcher said...

You may well be right, although I'd say Melania outdoes Jackie Kennedy in the style department.

ricpic said...

"...Of all the First Ladies in my lifetime, I think Laura Bush was the most appealing."

Well she certainly was the most normal. Not only was she attractive (but not too attractive) she was the most "centered," i.e. comfortable in her own skin.

bagoh20 said...

I've seen that look before.

https://youtu.be/tyeJ55o3El0?t=58s