Monday, October 30, 2017

book review without reading the book

Instapundit has this:

IN THE MAIL: The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing.

Goody gumdrops, this sounds like my sort of thing. Japanese sure are clever about storing things, concealing things, making it look like they've got more space than they do. Let's see if we want to buy this book and use it to declutter our life.

Amazon "Look inside" feature is sometimes somewhat useful. Other times it just shows the preface and other unhelpful publishing related gunk. But yesterday it really was helpful in showing how contents of a book are arranged. That book was Middle Egyptian Literature by Allen. It shows the eight stories really are printed in hieroglyphics even though the originals are in hieratic (handwriting script) and the transliteration (the phonetic sounds for words) and English. That is essential to know about the book. So I bought it. New, from Abe Books for seven dollars less than Amazon. Now that's useful.

Maybe this one will be too.

The "Look inside" feature shows contents.

Why can't I keep my house in order?
* You can't tidy if you've never learned how
* A tidying marathon doesn't cause rebound
* Tidy a little a day and you'll be tidying forever
* Why you should aim for perfection
* The moment you start you reset your life
* Storage experts are hoarders
* Sort by category, not by location
* Don't change the method to suit your personality
* Make tidying a special event, not a daily chore

Finish discarding first
* Start by discarding, all at once, intensely and completely
* Before you start, visualize your destination
* Selection criterion: does it spark joy?
* One category at a time
* Starting with mementos spels certain failure
* Don't let your family see
* If you're mad at your family, your room may be the cause
* What you don't need, your family doesn't either
* Tidying is a dialogue with one's self
* What to do when you can't throw something away

Tidying by category works like magic
* Tidying order follow the correct order of categories
* Clothing: place every item of clothing in the house on the floor
* Loungewear: downgrading to "loungewear" is taboo
* Clothing storage fold it right and solve your storage problems
* How to fold: the best way to fold for perfect appearance
* Arranging clothes: the secret to energizing your closet
* Storing socks: treat your socks and stockings with respect
* Seasonal clothes: eliminate the need to store off-season clothes
* Storing books put all your books on the floor
* Unread books: "sometime" means "never"
* Books to keep those that belong in the hall of fame
* Sorting papers: rule of thumb -- discard everything
* All about papers: how to organize troublesome papers
* Komono (miscellaneous items) keep things because you love them -- not "just because"
* Common types of komono: disposables
* Small change: make "into my wallet" your motto
* Sentimental items: your parents' home is not a haven for mementos
* Photos: cherish who you are now
* Astounding stockpiles I have seen
* Reduce until you reach the point where something clicks
* Follow your intuition and all will be well

Storing your things to make your life shine
* Designate a place for each thing
* Discard first, store later
* Storage: pursue ultimate simplicity
* Dont scatter storage spaces
* Gorget about "flow planning" and "frequency of use"
* Never pile things: vertical storage is the key
* No need for commercial storage items
* The best way to store bags is in another bag
* Empty your bag every day
* Items that usurp floor space belong in the closet
* Keep things out of the bath and the kitchen sink
* Make the top shelf of the bookcase your personal shrine
* Decorage your closet with your secret delights
* Unpack and de-tag new clothes immediately
* Don't underestimate the "noise" of written information
* Appreciate your possessions and gain strong allies

The magic of tidying dramatically transforms your life
* Put your house in order and discover what you really want to do
* The magic effect of tidying
* Gaining confidence in life through the magic of tidying
* An attachment to the past or anxiety about the future
* Learning that you can do without
* Do you greet your house?
* Your possessions want to help you
* Your living space affects your body
* I sit true that tidying increases good fortune?
* How to identify what is truly precious
* Being surrounded by things that spark joy makes you happy
* Your real life begins after putting your house in order

Goodness, I feel like I've read the whole book already.

This book is rated 4+1/2 stars from 12,568 reviews. I think reading the worst reviews will tell us what we need to know about this book beyond its table of contents. What follows is copy/paste 1 star reviews. It's only 5%




-- Oh how I tried to like this book. I was beyond excited when I discovered it and was so disappointed when I didn't receive it as a Christmas present. I promptly ordered the book for myself and dug in as soon as it arrived. I waited and read, and waited and read for the golden nugget of advice to help my already slightly OCD self get to the top when it comes to organizing. It didn't happen. I folded the socks the way it was suggested, but that was a fail for my husband. I kept reading about the things the author did as a child and subsequently a grown up, and oftentimes found my mind wandering about if there was something wrong with her. I kept reading then finally realized my time was more valuable on page 81 when she states (when speaking of how to fold SOCKS), "Look at them carefully. This should be a time for them to rest. Do you really think they can get any rest like that?" I kept going a little further as I am not one to quit reading a book. I made it to page 82 and the sentence that stated, "And it makes your stockings much happier, too."

That was it for me. The book hit the floor and now I find myself stressing over what to do with the book since it is not happy in my house and is not serving its purpose.

This provoked a lot of responses

* The real question as to why this book is so successful is, is it DUE to the happy socks, or IN SPITE of the happy socks?

* I agree with you totally! How does a book like this get to be a best seller? I'm about half way and am getting tired of reading about her silly life. She must know SOMEBODY!

* Why do people get so mad about the sock thing? This lady obviously just loves her socks. Comon people it is not that cringy.

* Thank you for the comment, and this is the New York Time #1 seller !!!This woman is making good money ! This is reminiscent of restaurants rave reviewsI ran into several times,only to shake my head $100 later. Can someone help a run-of-the mill idiot to get listed on the #1 list, please!

* I just got to the happy socks bit, not sure if I'll keep reading.

* Just like the Christmas fruitcake - pass It on! It will eventually find a home that appreciates it. You can start by giving it to me!

* Felt exactly the same...what a bunch of fertilizer!

* Great review. I may read the book anyway, but forewarned is forearmed

* Apparently I didn't make it that far, yet my clothes still seem pretty happy!

* So you missed the part about hanging clothes that look like they would be happier hung up? That's when I stopped reading.

* Hi-lar-i-ous review!!! Did the book find a happy place? Does it call out your name at night? As an "OCD self" myself, I was concerned that the inanimate objects speaking might not be the best thing for my brain! :) Thanks for sharing such a funny review. I will share it with my hubby and children.

* >>>oftentimes found my mind wandering about if there was something wrong with her. >>>> Me too! I kept thinking - huh, she really had some serious emotional issues when she was a kid, that must have been hard for her family to deal with. And then I'd miss whatever she was saying while my mind was contemplating how terrible it would have felt to have grown up in a house with her.

* Hallelujah! I'm not the only one who thought this book was over the top!! I couldn't finish it either - I guess I was spending too much time thanking my socks for their hard work and folding my shirts into tiny little bundles that, by the way, were a hell of a wrinkled mess when I took them out to wear them. I still have the book and plan to give it somebody I hate as a gift! 😆

* For the love of...the book is still cluttering my house. I will thank it for the efforts and send it on it's merry way.

* You are too funny!!! 😄👍

-- This book is ridiculous. That is my honest opinion of it overall. She makes 2 excellent points, and I truly do appreciate those.

1. It's not about storage. You have plenty of storage; you have too much stuff. That's why your place is cluttered. Too much stuff, not too little (or not clever enough) storage. This is true of almost everyone I've ever known. So do, by all means, get ruthless about getting rid of your stuff.

2. Don't keep things that "don't spark joy." In general, when it comes to clothes, books, entertainment items, furniture, or whatever, I can get on board with this. Why have things you don't truly enjoy? Where she fails in this point is that she makes no exceptions for things like medicine, documents (she does discuss documents very perfunctorily, but not to satisfaction IMO), school or work supplies, etc.

I will also give her credit for really making a case for being grateful for your belongings, and taking good care of them.

However, there are MAJOR problems with this book. First of all, she has unrealistically high expectations. For example, in order to truly sort through your things you MUST gather each and every piece of clothing in your entire house and throw them all on the floor. This must be done in one fell swoop or you fail. Same for books, toys, any items that you own. No one that I know has the inclination or the time to do this all at once.

That is not my main problem with this book, though. My main problem is that the author is absolutely bonkers. She anthropomorphizes EVERY INANIMATE OBJECT in the home. She insists that you must give your socks room to breathe after they have had a hard day's work on your feet (after thanking them kindly for their service, of course.) She also believes that your bag should be emptied at the end of each day, not because that is the best way to keep clutter out of your bag, but because your bag has worked hard all day and deserves a break. Give me a break.

Needless to say, this book did not "spark joy." I consider it a waste of time, with the exception of the first 2 points if you are not already aware of those.

This review provoked a lot of responses

* I understand, I love my books too! I reread old favs, but many are for reference and there is always something new to learn!

* Thanks, Steven... I was hurt reading the cruel and cutting comments about a book that helps declutter one's home and one's life. I hope the author doesn't see the mean names she is being called here, and so unecessarily.

You put it so well:"The book deserves at the least a chance at being read, and at 10 bucks who is really complaining? I think if the book is interesting to you in any way it is better to read it, try the method and see if it works for yourself rather than nitpick the quirks of the author and not even try the method." Amen!

* Yes! It is so wasteful.

* Are you serious about throwing it all away?! I'm horrified.

* I read it and I agree with you. Also, when did collections automatically becoming hoarding? Am I a hoarder because, as an MLIS (librarian), I choose to have hundreds of books on my shelves? Many are for reference, I reread old favorites, and I get at least 5 new books a month. I'm not tossing an older book just because I got a new one. I have 5 sets of bookshelves in my home and I treasure most of my books. Those I don't like I give to Goodwill. Yes, throwing items in the trash is extremely wasteful. I have a very old copy of Edna Ferber's Showboat, from 1920 something, that someone decided to donate rather than throw out and I say a big fat THANK YOU to him or her!

* Objects do *not* deserve respect and admiration. They are inanimate. They do not even breathe, much less have psyches. Yikes!

* I think the anthropomorphizing of objects idea is up to your own interpretation. I don't see the point in getting angry over it. She is just trying to be convincing that the objects we use to live out our lives to the fullest deserve respect, admiration and enough of their own space as to be prized possesions. Maybe to you the author is bonkers, but the proof is in the pudding on this one. I used the techniques in the book and have found that not only am I more aware of my space, but also I have a sharper mind when it comes to organizing my world. I believe it unjust to disregard this book as a whole based on these points. The book deserves at the least a chance at being read, and at 10 bucks who is really complaining? I think if the book is interesting to you in any way it is better to read it, try the method and see if it works for yourself rather than nitpick the quirks of the author and not even try the method.

* I agree. Totally bonkers. Posessions don't think, nor do they feel. I too was totally turned off by her diatribe about the care of socks. She was horrified that a client actually folded her socks together in pairs and turned the elastic over to roll them into "lumps" to keep them together. She went on for pages about how this was disrespectful to the socks. Also, this book was full of filler, filler and more filler surrounding a couple of ideas. If you live in a large home or value your antiques, heirlooms or books find another book on organizing.

* Hi! To answer your question, I finished the entire book but did not use her method at all. To me, her method seems impractical and wasteful. (Wasteful because the author insists you shouldn't give any of your old items away because then they will just become someone else's junk - you must throw everything in the trash).

If your clutter problems are so bad they are making you depressed, I hope you find a good solution soon! I wish I had a recommendation for you.

* Hi, I just bought this book not realizing the main idea was to touch every object and see if it sparks joy and that will determine whether or not I should keep it (arrrggghhh!!!) Oh well...my question for you is did you read the entire book first and then start or did you stop at the first section where you are supposed to tackle your clothes? This is where I am. I'm very irritated with the book so far (if I put all my clothes in the floor in a big pile, it will make me even more depressed than I already am over my clutter and the thought of separating them into catagories and then getting on with it just makes me not want to continue at all! Ugh :/

* Definitely a better use of your time!

* This review saved med USD 10 and not the least lot of time reading it. I think I got the main points from the book and also got some good critical "common sense" comments regarding what is prescribed. Time saved will be used for decluttering and tidying.

* "More fulfilling ways to spend your life than talking to your socks?" Never! (I'll be laughing at that one for awhile.)

* Still laughing at "...because your bag has worked hard all day and deserves a break. Give me a break." Read that to my 14-year-old daughter, who commented "OMG--creepy Japanese living..." Yep. This little girl (Kondo) would run away screaming like she'd seen Godzilla if she encountered my husband's 20 giant red notebooks from grad school filled with advanced physics & math notes, my teenager's torture chamber of a sock/underwear/bathing suit/accessories drawer, or my attic full of once-loved, now-in-the-way furniture. I hope, for her sake, that this author does manage to get married (she lets this ambition slip in toward the end of the book) and learn that there are more fulfilling ways to spend your life than talking to your socks.

* Talk about why you like this review, or ask a question.


-- The author makes one good point: keep only those items that bring you joy. Otherwise this book was of no value to me. It is also written purely from (and for) a feminine perspective, which in and of itself is unobjectionable, I simply regret not knowing that in the beginning.

-- I spent $10 on this and really wish I had read the review I'm about to write.

I'm a guy. I've got tons of stuff and really want to downsize. However, I have equipment for work, I have gear for multiple hobbies, I have paperwork for my home business that I need to keep, I have tools to help maintain my living space, etc. In other words, I'm like many Americans, male or not.

This books only discusses how to deal with clothes, books, cosmetics, and a few decorative items. The overall suggestion for dealing with an overload of papers is "throw them out". I don't think my accountant would be too happy about that. There is nothing about general tools, hobby items, car cleaning supplies, home maintenance tools, garden tools, etc. Nothing.

The author talks about taking baths and enjoying tea before bedtime. And she reads. I'm honestly not sure she does anything else with her life. I have hobbies, I have things I use to help enjoy the outdoors. I don't take baths and enjoy tea before bedtime. Honestly her life sounds REALLY boring.

 The gist of this is that there is a HUGE cultural gap in her life and mine. I don't live in one room, and I have multiple vehicles and tools for work and three dogs and a life. You could potentially argue back and forth about the merits of our different cultures, but that isn't the point. I like my life, I just want to cut down on the clutter and have a more efficient work and play environment. And this book is NOT useful at all for that purpose. There really needs to be a disclaimer on this book, because I just threw $10 down the drain.

This review provoked a lot of comments

* You said earlier that you read other books on downsizing that were more helpful than this one. Since I'm in need of downsizing but my socks aren't, which books did you find more helpful? I refuse to "throw out." I'm a recycler so my main problem is going to be finding new homes for my stuff that isn't landfill for my old clothes, kitchen items, kids' toys, appliances, etc. etc. etc.

* Neat scanners are lousy due to the proprietary software. I have an old one stashed away. According to this book I should get rid of it since it doesn't bring me joy, and they're right.

The Epson DS-30 scanner is great for a portable model. For faster desktop use the Fujitsu iX500 is also great.

* The average reviews for these document scanners range from 2.5 to 3.5, so I don't plan to try one.

* thank you Ivan, i might be an arthritic 72yo female but I still have a gazillion interests & a full time wok, so your description of your 3 dogs and a life, and tools, and interests, and how the book didn't address those ... "sparks of joy"... <heh-heh> ... was very helpful to me. Saved me $10 and a crappy mood not to speak of time of reading. Thanks for the review.

* Hey thanks for saving me some money. I'm sure my socks died of suffocation long ago. Imagine living with someone and never being able to just kick off your shoes or leave a pile of clothes by your bed.

* Huh?

* For your papers... Have you looked into a Neat System?

* OMG Yes to cat boxes and brooms. This poor author has a horrific OCD case and needs help. I thought her book was elitist and impractical. If you're not in an income bracket that allows you to replace what you have with things that bring you joy, telling people to throw everything away is irresponsible.

* I bought the book since I thought it would help with downsizing, but as I mentioned in the review very little of it applied to living in a house in the USA. Other books have been helpful; this one was not.

* I'm curious why you bought the book, you must have thought about downsizing. Like buying a book about skiing and then saying you don't like the cold


* I also struggled with the practical aspects of this book, such as items that don't "bring me joy," but are essential to my life, such as as mops, brooms, dustpans and cat boxes.

I also disagreed with her assessment that most homes have adequate storage space, which isn't true for couples who have downsized to a one-bedroom apartment,

Finally, I laughed at the section that suggested that unused clothes "feel" unwanted and wish they were elsewhere. Really?

After that section, It was hard to take the rest of the book seriously.

* "The gist of this is that there is a HUGE cultural gap in her life and mine." So true. I think her general message, "keep what you love" makes sense, but there are so many ways to implement that. It's a cousin to the concept of "f__k yes, or no" (an article by Mark Morford), that if you are just "meh" about something get it out of your life.

—- Oh my word. I might enjoy decluttering my home more if it weren't for the fact that KonMari goes on. And on. And on. Her writing style is excessively flowery and cluttered and I'm barely able to finish the book. Seriously. I feel like I wasted my $10 on this for a few ideas that could be bulleted in just a few points. So frustrated with myself for getting it. :-(

* Exactly! Kondo needs to "de-clutter" her prose style!

* Great point! Why isn't the book as decluttered as her work I wonder? I think I might look at some Zen blogs for advice on decluttering instead. Thanks for your help

-- What a rip off this book was. The author, in order to make this into a book, writes the same thing over and over. I kept reading expecting to find the BIG secret of a Japanese professional. Every sentence said the same thing, we would feel so much better and live so much better if we learned the secret. Guess what? There is no secret. This book should have been titled, "How to Steal $10 from unorganized People". :-(

-- I am sure this helps some people, but she started to lose me when she said I should let my socks rest. It was downhill from there for me. Thanking my discarded items for their service, asking my home where things should go and using shoeboxes to store everything would change my life too much and not in a magical way. I did like the idea that I should evaluate every item for whether or not it brought me joy but that was about the end of the good stuff for me. Very Shinto based approach to interacting with our environment. I understand it but I didn't like this book.

-- If you do, then you may worry about their well-being or happiness. Though this book has lofty goals, has a very popular following, and has some good ideas, it goes too much into the weird zone. It's best to read a summary of the book and focus on a few of the helpful things that Kondo talks about. These main ideas are "does this item spark joy," put all like items together, and stack things vertically (and fold most clothes). If you understand that, then you've captured the essence of this book. The book reads like a hyperbolic vision of tidying up, but then it starts to go into animism, Shintoism, and worrying about the well-being of inanimate objects. Those views are fine if you are into them, but a surprisingly large amount of the book worries about these items' feelings. How about our feelings as people? I went into it with an open mind and did not realize that so much of the book was just a weird way of viewing inanimate objects' lives.
This book is the #1 seller on Zen Buddhism right now in the kindle store and that gives you an idea of strong the spirituality pervades this book. If you do a search and watch a five minute video of her talking you will get the gist of her ideas.
It almost seems as if it's been so popular with American' fascination with eastern philosophy has contributed to its popularity. Between thanking the clothes and worrying about socks' feelings, the thoughts were a eclectic mix in a book about cleaning. I read the whole book and that attitude is pervasive. I believe this has become popular because it reads like a personal biography with ideas interspersed and people love narratives. However, with all the fluff, throwing out her sister's junk and rambling, there is actually little content. Rarely do I feel so strong about a book, but this one has been hyped up to ridiculous levels.
Nice cover picture. A better book might be the classic "Getting Things Done" which covers some of the best ideas on organizing.

-So far I'm on page 41, and I haven't learned anything useful. If I have to read one more time about how she organized her brother's and sister's rooms as a kid, or how she had tidiness epiphanies as a teen, I'm going to barf. Get to the point! I know this is a #1 NYT Best Seller, but I don't know if I can make it to the good parts at this rate. I've put down and picked up the book four or five times only to find that she's repeating her anecdotes. It seems that she wrote each chapter to be stand alone, and therefore starts over each time. I think she could heed her own advice and strip a lot of her content out of her book. By now I want to be discarding, not reading about why I should discard.

— Sorry, but I was expecting a revolutionary idea.
Here is the concept in a nutshell :
1. Get rid of all the extra stuff in your house. Now go back and REALLY get rid of all the junk you don't need. It will feel great.

2. Put stuff back where it goes when you are done using it. (My mother's mantra...)

3. Treat your clothing and items respectfully. Fold clothes neatly and put them in your drawer in an orderly fashion. You will be able to do this because you won't have a bunch of extra stuff jamming up your drawers.

There you have it.

* Hi, I just bought this book not realizing the main idea was to touch every object and see if it sparks joy and that will determine whether or not I should keep it (arrrggghhh!!!) Oh well...my question for you is did you read the entire book first and then start or did you stop at the first section where you are supposed to tackle your clothes? This is where I am. I'm very irritated with the book so far (if I put all my clothes in the floor in a big pile, it will make me even more depressed than I already am over my clutter and the thought of separating them into catagories and then getting on with it just makes me not want to continue at all! Ugh :/

* I'm on Pg. 30, but I figured that the whole book can be summarized in one page. My first rule would be: "don't by things that you don't really need".

* Thanks for the heads-up & confirmation that I don't need to read another book by someone who is just doing what I already know how to do but not doing. Reading a book on organizing is a form of procrastination that makes me feel less guilty about not "just doing it".

* The encouragement part is KEY. And if you don't have a cheerleader I guess you have to become your own.

* This review is all the synopsis I need. As I suspected, stuff we already know. We just need a cheerleader encouraging us to do it. There is no magic formula.

* I agree with you. I was hoping that there was a magic potion. But the answer comes down to...JUST DO IT !!

Happy New Year!

* Thanks for this review! I was so excited to get the book. I loved it initially because it seemed so radical to suggest I try to do things the way I always do but never finish (pile all like items together, do it all at once, no moderation!). Maybe my problem wasn't that I was doing the wrong thing but that I was doubting my own magical methods. I'm halfway through now and....I'm just not seeing it. I'm coming to terms with the fact that there's no magic to decluttering other than just doing it and getting it done.

* I actually DID read every word in the book because I was expecting it to be life-changing. That's why I was so disappointed. I'm sorry...I didn't mean to infer that the book actually says "Get rid of all the extra stuff in your house. Now go back and REALLY get rid of all the junk you don't need." I was just suggesting that you could save a lot of time if you simply took this action. I think the method and process detailed in the book is extremely tedious and promotes procrastination which (I think) is at the root of all accumulation. There were many parts of the book that were written in a lovely manner. I just didn't think it was an effective strategy.

* Did you actually read the book? There is a method and a process, none of which you described in your review, except for maybe partly but not in full detail for #3. Nowhere in the book does it say to "Get rid of all the extra stuff in your house. Now go back and REALLY get rid of all the junk you don't need." It appears that either you did not read it, take it seriuosly, or perhaps just skimmed through it and somehow missed the whole purpose and the steps and order of it.

* Actually, I have a HUGE clutter/accumulation problem PLUS I am a serious procrastinator.

That's why, when I read this book, I felt like it was feeding into a procrastinator's nightmare. I have a long track record of stretching out a problem rather than just dealing with it directly and efficiently. This book places too much sentimentality on "things" and once you assign the thing sentimental value it becomes very difficult to get rid of. The key to decluttering is TO GET RID OF STUFF in a quickly and efficiently --- not making a mountain of all your clothes and having a dialog with each piece.

I read a good decluttering book by Andrew Mellon. He has the OPPOSITE approach (more unsentimental). I think you have to aim to hit it down the middle... Both sides are a little extreme. The joy of having less stuff in your house (so that you can breathe) will outweigh the feeling that comes with accumulation of STUFF. There is freedom and liberation and clarity of thought that comes from getting rid of stuff. I know it is really hard to do. One of the points he made was that when it comes to a lot of inconsequential stuff -- the only person that it matters to is YOU. In which case -- take a picture.

I have been a prisoner to my STUFF but it is getting better now.

* If I had to guess, I'd say you are probably not someone with a clutter problem. I could be wrong, but I think this book wasn't meant to help someone who doesn't have a problem.


* Hi! I gave it one star because I think the process she describes is a ridiculous
and tedious form of procrastination. The book was a big waste of time and I do not agree with her process. I think it is going to make things much worse for a person who is already overwhelmed by having too much clutter.

If the entire book can be summarized by applying simple common sense :

1. Get rid of all the extra stuff in your house. Now go back and REALLY get rid of all the junk you don't need. It will feel great.

2. Put stuff back where it goes when you are done using it. (My mother's mantra...)

3. Treat your clothing and items respectfully. Fold clothes neatly and put them in your drawer in an orderly fashion. You will be able to do this because you won't have a bunch of extra stuff jamming up your drawers.



....then it only deserves one star.

* Meaning you agree with her. So why only one star?

* Well said !

* Thanks for the review. It is even tidier and takes up less space than the Kindle edition of the book.


-- I virtually never give a one-star, but this book deserves it. Things I "learned":
1. Regularly run your hands over your clothes--this will "impart energy into them".
2. The way to find if you should keep books is to discard them, and then you will buy them again if you really wanted them. (Assumes you have limitless cash).
3. Your home is a shrine, so greet it formally when you return.
4. Possessions that you don't like are unhappy, so release them, and they will return to you as items that you do like. (This animistic religious theme runs through the book.)
The main problem I have with the book (apart from the animism) is that it only deals with luxury items, not things you have to keep because you need them or don't have the money to replace them. 90% of my possessions do not "spark joy in me" but they are very functional for life and work.
If you have a problem with too much stuff, then there are much better and more practical books out there. like The Hoarder in You: How to Live a Happier, Healthier, Uncluttered Life

* In addition to appreciating the commenter's sarcasm about things he "learned," I am very grateful for his recommendation of The Hoarder in You! I ordered it immediately (NINETY-NINE CENTS FOR THE KINDLE VERSION!!!!!), and I'm now deeply immersed in it. Its author isn't crazy, and what she writes resonates with me. Thanks, Andrew M. Fountain!

-- Bought it because I have been hearing so much about it. Complete waste of money. Not a useful tip in the book. I will sum it up for you: Look through all of your things, determine what items bring you joy, throw out all the rest. That is the boot in a nutshell.

* Eh. I read the book too and agree with MFlavin's review. He or she did write a rather short, nutshell version, review but it's correct.

*There is useful descriptions of how to organize things in storage and also helpful advice on how space is used in your home. I think your comment is an overgeneralization.

-- I would buy this for a teenaged girl with a messy bedroom. It feels breathlessly teenaged. The message has been boiled down in other reviews to one sentence. Need not repeat those.. My beef is with the style of writing, the crazy obsessions of the author, the same reveal over and over. How did this get on the best seller list anyway??

-- Has anyone tried the MP3-CD version? I popped it into my CD player in my car and it wouldn't "read." No sound, no nothing. Because it's also an MP3, does that mean it won't play in a standard CD player?

-- My wife read this book and threw away a bunch of my stuff. I had to hide things in my truck to keep them off the chopping block. I no longer have a charger for my old iPod, she threw it away. I hate this book.

* Me too. That comment
was hilarious

* Me too! LOL

* Susannah, you hate the book BECAUSE you haven't read it. Otherwise you'd know it does not say to throw out someone else's stuff. Someone either didn't pay attention or were inventing an excuse.

* Your wife didn't really read the book. Marie Kondo specifically says NOT to throw away other people's stuff. Only they can judge whether something is to keep or to get rid of.

* I couldn't stop laughing....I am still laughing.....:)

* You'll have to buy a replacement charger for your iPod. I have donated books and then turned around and purchased them again because I decided that I wanted them. So, I stopped donating and now I just store the stuff that I "may" want to donate in an extra closet.

* Sorry about your charger; but this was funny, it caught me off guard when I read it.

* That was pretty funny.


* I agree this book is dangerous, especially if you live with someone who is looking for an excuse to throw out your stuff! I hate it too, and I haven't even read it!

* Lmao!!! I'm sorry but " I WHIT" you're review made me laugh.

* We were talking about this book at work. One thing lead to another and lets just say we were all looking over our manager's shoulder, reading your review, and cackling like a crate full of parrots.

* Hahaha

* Love it!

* Phucking great review!!!

* You win!

* Oh my God I'm dying. Best comment ever!

* clearly, your stuff just didn't bring her joy!

* clearly, your stuff just didn't bring her joy!

* Best. Comment. Ever.

* this is hysterical

* Hilarious! On a side-note, wifey flunked KM school. You're not supposed to touch anyone's possessions except your own.

* your wife didnt read the book very closely considering it specifically says to not throw out other peoples things

* I was reading excerpts to my husband on the train last night and he suggested I look at the one starred reviews. We almost fell off our seats laughing. Thanks for the laugh...

* Awful! The author specifically talks about NOT touching anyone else's stuff, and only throwing away things that belong to you.

* This is the first book review that made me laugh :) Thanks!

* Dude, that's just wrong.

* Died laughing.

* Hilarious. You stopped me from buying this book because I like being married and don't want to traumatize my husband.

* hahaha!

* Poor Lyle! Great review.

* OK, I am going to smile about this comment decades from now.

* I came here to say this is happening to me right now.

* You made me laugh out loud. Too funny!!!!

* True comment. Honest laugh.

* I threw out my old ipod charger before even reading the book. It's useless. I put my things in boxes and marked them. Piled them in a single stack against the ceiling to the wall. Before I even read the book. Yes, and I did it in one day. I threw out old mismatched socks. I threw out clothes I've had for years and didn't know I still had. I threw out a lot of things I kept because my husband told me to. Clothes I hadn't worn in 15 years. Old cords to VCRs I haven't had for a decade. Maybe Japanese people are trying to tell us something.

* OMG...best laugh of the week!! Hahahahahaha!! :-D

* Pretty funny "review"… and, more than likely, not even slightly true.

Funny, though.

* I don't know why I found this review so funny! I'm sorry that your wife threw your things out though.

* Too funny!

* Your wife didn't read this book very well if she threw out your things. The author is very clear about keeping to your own things, even relating her childhood mistakes of doing precisely this to her siblings.

* ROFL!

* LOL!

* Hahaha sounds dangerous. Funny review. Thanks.

* I read your review, and learned it by heart so I could go repeat it to my wife... We just broke in tears because we were laughing so much! Thanks!

* Amazon loves this book. The method says if you really needed that thrown away charger- then you will buy another one. Amazon must be promoting the heck out of this book. It's great for sales.

* This is the best book review ever! Thanks for bringing me joy!

* This is sad. I hope she thinks about it more deeply so she won't throw away anything else you really like.

* It is so wrong to throw away someone else's stuff. SMH

* Best review I've seen on Amazon. Maybe you can get a car charger for your old ipod, and charge it while driving your truck.

* Hey, at least she kept you! It could be worse. :-)
Just curious, did you ever use your old iPod? If you did, buy another charger and show her the bill.

Lots more comments but I’m tired of copying them.

-- This book made me so sad. Sad for the 5 year old girl who was obsessed with object placement. Sad for the child who set her own alarm clock because didn't trust her family to wake her up. Sad for the teenager who identified with possessions more than people. Sad for the woman who cried in the shower because of soap scum. These examples and more are part of the depressing personal history that makes up this book. This woman needs a hug, a friend, and maybe a therapist.

As for the tidying (a word used repeatedly), there is no magic. You have way too much crap. Only keep what you truly love. When you have aggressively purged, follow the rule your mama taught you - a place for everything and everything in its place.

22 comments

-- I'm about two thirds of the way through and I do not plan on reading anymore. My socks do not have feelings and I don't decide if I like a book by holding it in my hands and feeling a "sense of joy" I JUST LIKE IT. The one thing that made me most angry was when she said if you want to keep a certain quote from a book, just rip out the page and through it away. Don't do this, because it means no one else can read the book properly. Another thing, she talks about "disposing" the unwanted items, assuming she means throwing in the bin, don't do this either! If you don't want them and no one else you know wants them, take them down to your nearest charity shop. I am amazed this is a best seller, the author spendf half the book bigging herself up, when actually, studying the "art of tidying" is a waste of time. I'm sorry but this book is a complete waste if money.

--  Maria Kondo could have written one sentence - keep what you love and toss the rest. YouTube has her video of how to fold socks and shirts. I feel a little foolish buying the book.

-- I had several friends recommend this book so I muddled my way through it. I must be honest, I will probably use maybe ten percent of it. The rest of it was just plain WEIRD!!
Talking to your house and clothes is just too strange for me. They way she worded things was like as long as you were tidy everything in life gets better. I'm by no means a slob, I can't stand dishes in the sink and stuff on the counters, but she acted as if you are tidying the way she says, you will have a perfect life! Like you will lose weight, acne will clear up, relationships will be better, you become a stronger person etc. It's a little bit cuckoo! No it's A LOT cuckoo!!

-- I'm about 60% of the way into this book, and I'd love to say the author is brilliant. I'd love to say what she writes really speaks to me. But I can't. Speaking as someone who suffers from OCD myself, I cannot find the strength to read more. The writing style is repetitive and the word "tidy" is used as a verb over and over again. Frankly, the author spends far too much time patting herself on the back for writing about this topic, the concept of which really could and should have been a leaflet; "If something doesn't bring you joy or have a valid, ongoing use or purpose in your life, consider tossing it." There; I just saved you a few hours and a few bucks. You're welcome.

29 comments

-- An odd little book, it was hard to take it seriously in any way. The techniques the author suggests are often strange (such as collecting every single piece of clothing in your home and piling it in the middle of the floor to go through all at once, throwing away virtually all paperwork in your home because you're probably never going to need it, taking on sorting the entire house at once rather than room by room). The author appears to have a compulsive need for "tidying," including her early efforts as a child in which she took it upon herself to "tidy" not only her own belongings but everyone else in her household's, too, making decisions about and discarding items that belonged to them, not to her. She suggests not keeping instruction manuals for anything, and instead just figuring out how to use your camera, phone, etc. by trial and error. The author praises her own system repeatedly throughout the book, saying that her clients never fall back into their former ways, and that hers is the only system with these perfect outcomes. With no disrespect intended, this seems to be an example of an individual with considerable "tidying" OCD who was able to parlay that into a livelihood.

8 comments

-- WHY is this book so popular?? The idea of purging your home of items which no longer bring you joy (the resounding & overstated theme) is not exactly new. The only new perspective this author brings to the tried & true idea is her own severe and self-righteous case of OCD. Her advice to discard paycheck stubs, bank statements, and utility bills immediately upon receipt is irresponsible & asinine advice. Likewise her advice to toss all old family photos and any non-perishable "stockpiled" supplies such as toilet paper.
I mean seriously - WHO reads this stuff and thinks, "Wow, that's a great idea! My life will be so much more peaceful when I toss out that shoebox of photos of the last 5 generations of our family?" Or, "Thank goodness I didn't hang onto my last 12 months of paycheck stubs! The W2 my employer gave me is off by perhaps $5k, but since I didn't keep my own records, there's nothing I can do about it. That makes me feel so alive??"

-- This book is not life changing unless you are a hoarder. Honestly, I am surprised that it is a best seller. I like books about organization and usually come away with at least a few good ideas that are framed in a way that I normally wouldn’t think of. Not this book. Her message is redundant and is to get rid of anything you don’t love. The first chapter was mildly interesting and then the book switched to how to have OCD. The way she talks about socks was crazy (she thinks they have feelings). She had an episode when she was young and she broke down crying about dirty shampoo bottles in the shower and now she dries each bottle and puts it away after her shower. The author also obsessively talks about that we must strive for perfection. She has very unhealthy attitudes and it makes me cringe that this is listed under self-help books. I worry that the author shows many signs of OCD. The other problem that I have with this book is that there is not any mention on how to live in an organized way with children and/or a spouse. This is only for those who are young, live alone, and have a hoarding problem. It is not for the average person who occasionally needs a little inspiration. Her attitudes come off as judging and naïve. She clearly is a young woman without much adult life experience. Any references she does make to family involve her mother or siblings. I will be getting rid of this book promptly because it does not bring me any joy. I only wish I had checked it out from the library and not wasted money on this.

24 comments

-- Received this CD A month ago. Never had a chance to play it until today and much to my disappointment the disc does not play. Only static. I am too late to return it and am very very unhappy. Never buy from them again.

-- I've never seen so many sentences start with "I".

-- There is nothing magical here except to get rid of things, store like things with like things, and fold your stuff into a tidy rectangle. There are things in here which really don't make sense if you have children. Getting rid of excess, yes. But I truly think you'd have to fold all of your children's clothes to fulfill the perfection which IS the goal, and she states that. There's obsessive things, like not even having a dish drying rack and instead bringing your dishes AND sponge outside to dry. Not really convenient in the least. If you live by yourself and a spartan environment is your life's work, then by all means! She also mentions at the end of the book that after cleaning someone's home, she couldn't get out of bed the next day and had to call an ambulance. This woman is not healthy! Also, she really gets hung up on how clothes must feel when they're not folded the right way. I really do have more things going on in life than to worry if my socks are getting along with one another. I'm not joking, she talks about clothes getting along with one another. Mind you, I love a drawer full of rolled up socks, I do. But she seems overly concerned about things. She goes on about how badly she felt once when mildew accumulated in her shower caddy because she hadn't cleaned it each day. She could never use it or the products inside again because the mildew caused such painful memories. This is OCD people. She's just making money off of it.

7 comments

--  I was not impressed with this book. It was long and drawn out with very few helpful tips for tidying up. It's basically a throw everything out book.

-- Missing pages 151-182 and I didn't realize it until after the period of time to return it had expired.

-- Thought there would be diagrams or pictures to go along with it

-- This lady has issues. Along with being very selfish (she admits that she used to get rid of her family's stuff for them without consulting with them), I also was very concerned for her as I read some of her tips on "tidying." My socks do not have feelings and I do not decide if I like a book by touching it and seeing how it makes me feel. The one part that actually made me angry is that she suggests to actually rip pages out of books where you want to keep the quote on that page but so you can still get rid of the book. What is wrong with this lady?! Take a picture of the page if it means that much to you. Don't rip out the page and ruin the book so no one else can read it. I am glad I checked this out from the library and didn't actually pay money for it.

-- This book was terrible. The author obviously suffers from OCD and she has a questionable relationship with inanimate objects. My socks don't have feelings and my house doesn't speak to me. Don't waste your time or money on this book!

--  ridiculous. I think this women has some sort of mental issue that shifts the focus from whatever is disturbing her to the clutter. Maybe you CAN be too tidy. You can certainly use the word "tidy" so much it starts to sound like someone dragging their fingernails down a chalkboard, which Marie Kondo does. Her philosophy and writing style makes me want to throw a handful of loose change, spent batteries and pencil nubs into a drawer just to annoy her. Magic? More like OCD. I agree most people have too much stuff. Get rid of it. Here is where I stopped reading: "When it comes to tidying, the majority of people are lazy. They are also busy." What sort of logic is that? If you are busy how can you be lazy? I'm sure there is some Eastern philosophy the enlightened fans who have flocked to this book will accuse me of failing to understand, but this makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. She completely negates any sort of personal organizational style. The success of her method, which she claims is wildly high, depends solely on adhering to HER methods and the only way you can "complete the course" IS to follow her methods. So, of course, her failure rate is zero, because unless you follow her methods, you haven't completed the course. I found the author's tone to be extremely pretentious, irritating, judgmental and condescending. Kondo's opinion of herself, and everyone else, is based on tidiness. She truly believe tidiness is the most important thing in the world. Furthermore, the idea that you should attempt to order your entire home all at once is simply impractical for most people. Her whole life may revolve around being tidy, but other people have stuff they need to do that doesn't include folding their t-shirts into magic shapes.

This is new age nonsense of the worst sort. There is nothing profound, magical or life-changing in here. It's shallow, banal and written by someone with a superiority complex derived by developing a vague connection between spirituality and cleaning. It's nonsense and it isn't even a very good book on organizing. The worst thing about this is that I bought it on Kindle so I don't even have the satisfaction of being able to physically chuck this waste of time an money out the window. Don't bother. Remember: I warned you.

-- Ok, but most of this I already do, so gave it to friends who need lots of help.

--  This book is repetitious and thus boring. Anyone with average intelligence can grasp the concept the book explains over and over and over again by reading the first chapter. If in doubt, read the second chapter. Then throw the book away.

--  I bought this based on the Wall Street Journal article. I was really disappointed by the book. It seems as if it is geared for teenagers living at home with their parents, not adults who live in a real house with children. All of the anecdotes, at least in the first half of the book (I couldn't finish it) address issues such as restraining yourself from tidying your brother's room, or what if your Mom wants to go through them items you want to discard. Come ON. It seems to be written for an adolescent Japanese audience...Much is LOST in Translation.





Okay, Enough of this. I’m tired of doing this and I already hate the book.

This is halfway through page 4 of 59 pates of one-star reviews. I didn't realize 5% of 12,568 would go on for nearly 60 pages plus all the comments to reviews.

The whole thing amounts to one huge pile of clutter. Amazon really needs to declutter their space as they do with books like What Happened.  If you bought this book you'd have to throw it away.

8 comments:

ricpic said...

The great fact of life is dust.

Does anyone dare gainsay that?

Amartel said...

Some of those negative reviewers were angry that the book did not magically anticipate and solve their particular clutter issues. Honestly, that seems a bit unreasonable.
Sometimes you just take 1, 2, 3 nuggets of advice and see how it works for you. I like the advice about attacking one category of stuff at a time. That makes sense. Focus. Also the bit about not hanging on to insignificant stuff. Eliminate nonessentials. And if you don't drink tea (feh) or take baths (why?), then substitute in something that does relax you. Making tiny villages out of toothpicks. Cooking. Working on the car. Getting rid of shit you don't need. OTOH, if you're buying a decluttering book (instead of just figuring it out independently) then you may need the sort of specific to you advice that cannot be found in a general consumption book.

Amartel said...

I saw that Hoarders show once and those people have ISSUES.

MamaM said...

If you bought this book you'd have to throw it away.

True enough. However it would have to sit for a while first on the pile of other iffy and disappointing books, waiting for my sense of guilt and foolishness to subside.

I have refused to pick up this one up three times, once when it was mentioned at Insty, and later talked about and touted on another blog, and once when a good friend went on about it at length over lunch (her Book Club was reading it), and now here Each time I have maintained the resolve to refuse it while taking from the whole mess the fact that enjoyment, need and use are the three key factors in dealing with clutter.

chickelit said...

ricpic said...The great fact of life is dust.

Does anyone dare gainsay that?


Who would gainsay Solomon?

MamaM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MamaM said...

I knew I wasn't going nuts. To add to the clutter, along with the most recent mention, this book's been listed several times as "in the mail" at Instapundit, going back to Dec 2016.

https://pjmedia.com/instapundit/?s=the+life+changing+magic+of+tidying+up

MamaM said...

For ricpic and whomever happens to blow this way again:

Note

straw, feathers, dust--
little things

but if they all go one way
that's the way the wind goes.

William Stafford