Sunday, October 8, 2017

Sean Evans interviews Terry Crews

When we lived in Momote Village I'd listen to Johnny Carson at night over the military radio station. I had no idea what he looked like. I didn't know why people were laughing. I couldn't see the facial expressions, nor did I understand half the jokes, but I still thought I could do that. I could be an interviewer like Johnny Carson. And I held that conceit for years. After all, I had interesting conversations with people and I could draw out things that are not usual.

For example, I met a bunch of new people at a party. Several were standoffish, particularly one guy. He seemed resistant to talk to me. I sensed he didn't like me for some reason. But we're at a party, so suck it, now talk. I struck up a conversation and interrogated him about Viet Nam. He was reluctant to get into the subject. Just talking was a bit like pulling teeth. I said he must have been very young at the time. He said, yes. I asked if he was the youngest in his squad or his platoon. He said, yes. I asked him, due to his small frame today and young age then, did the other soldiers treat him protectively or did they give him a hard time. At this point he must have thought, "Gee, this guy is actually interested" because he bloomed in exposition about the very real time of his life in Viet Nam, where he came from, what he escaped by joining the Army, what he got from the Army, how he was treated throughout, how his personal relationships went, how his experience was somewhat unique and certainly unique in his platoon. He opened right up.

So things like that made me think I'd be good interviewer.

But I'm wrong. I watch interviewers today and they outdo me completely. I give up. All these other guys win. They're all much better at this than I am. They all come prepared. They're knowledgeable. They move the interview along. They control the interview. They bring out the unexpected much better than I do. They're engaging in ways that I'm not.

I don't know either of these two people but this interview made me appreciate both of them; the interviewer for his skill and his grace, and the guest for his interesting life and his impressive attitude. My favorite part is Terry Crews describing his father and deciding the things he will change with his own children. I've seen my own siblings do this same thing.





Boy, Terry Crews sure does have white teeth.

A few weeks ago I complimented a girl on her brilliant white teeth. We ended up talking about dental care for some time. She told me some of her friends, but not her, brush their teeth with powdered charcoal. I go, ew, gross. I told her onetime in hospital following a seizure the doctors suspected poisoning and had me drink liquid charcoal, a thick back goop. I complied and gulped it down obediently in one swig then drank more water and swished it around to clear it out of my mouth. The next morning I looked in the mirror and my mouth and teeth were still grossly black and had been all night. Like poorly done Halloween makeup. So each time a nurse came in, that's what they saw. It took a good deal of brushing to get rid of the remnant charcoal. The girl goes, "I bet your teeth were white."  Teeth white as Crews flashes seem unreal. 

2 comments:

MamaM said...

Good story. One of the sonsM drank charcoal and experienced the surprise of blackened teeth afterwards. Or rather, his mother did.

The "It's the next ham radio!" parallel was fun!" as was the real emotion present throughout, from hot sauce reaction to the satisfaction of a connection that changed his life. And on to the sincerity and passion behind "Dammit, Don't ever let anybody talk you out of what you want to do!!" Topped off by "God will not have his work made manifest by cowards"

Well, shit! Here goes:

The opening and connection experienced with the vet appears to have been the result of interest and "noticing."

"We are born looking for someone who is looking for us" was the quote/truth I came home with last month after attending a seminar led by a psychiatrist, who writes and talks on identity and shame from a neurobiological (and on his part, Christian) perspective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iboW5NUJiGU To Know and be Known

"To the degree that we are aren't just simply striving to know information, to the degree we are willing to be known by others in all of our dreadfulness, in all of our darkness, and strangeness is the degree to which I then become known to myself."

MamaM said...

Crews was born and raised in Flint, Michigan...He grew up in a strict Christian household, and was raised mainly by his mother. After earning his high school diploma from Flint Southwestern Academy, he received a Chrysler-sponsored art scholarship at the Interlochen Center for the Arts in Michigan, which was followed by an Art Excellence scholarship and a full-ride athletic scholarship for football at Western Michigan University.

Art and football scholarships. Plus an ability to endure and survive, hot sauce and other highly charged and potent situation.