Monday, October 16, 2017

Ars Ingratia Artis

Overheard at Lem's:
I'd really rather not have eaten there. We've been there before. Whatever they make we can do better. And breakfast comes with our rooms. And I'd rather not eat that either. I'd rather not eat at all. I'd rather just go. But I did eat there. Because I'm being agreeable. Then later I wished that I hadn't.  
Lots of ranting at that link about good ol' American restaurant fare. Perhaps youse guys can relate to this:

That's a 6-panel piece I own called "Six Restaurants, One Burning." It depicts 6 different American fast food restaurants - Bennigan's, Bob's, What-A-Burger, Howard Johnson's, Black-eyed Pea, and a Pizza Hut. Here is some detail, upper left:

More detail, lower right:

The work is colored pencil on white stock and doesn't photograph well. But you get the picture. The artist is known for his detailed and intricate work, and so I hung this at the foot of the stairs where you can walk right up to it and examine it close-up.

13 comments:

MamaM said...

If that's not a set-up (at the link) for 60 in Gold or Annotated Version, I don't know what is!

MamaM said...

Christina's world made me laugh. http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/columnists/doug-moe-eccentric-neurotic-artist-bill-amundson-moves-back-to/article_9cdc10e4-1865-11e0-8b6f-001cc4c002e0.html

chickelit said...

@MamaM: Here's an early version (1980's) of "Christina's World." link

BTW, I own "Lost In The Pelvis." We have been friends since 1985 or so.

The Dude said...

What colors were used on that website - I can't make out the letters.

chickelit said...

@Sixty: All pastels and pretty light. I'll bet it's all B&W to you.

The Dude said...

No, it is blue on bright orange, and almost completely illegible. I guess artists gotta artist.

MamaM said...

Oh My! That was a divert. I almost didn't make the turn, not wanting to be redirected back to the original AW field of study (not clicking with the fact it was created further back--in 1948!!), which made finding the drawing at the link an additional surprise. Then, after checking out what was Lost in the Pelvis, I started with Art on a Stick only to be brought up short by The Bad Call, where I truly did LOL!

It's no wonder you're friends. He's an ArtChirbit experience!

The self portraits impress. I enjoy his way of combining playfulness and skill to invite meaning. I have a pencil drawing I did in college of a self portrait of my head as a Christmas ornament, with a broken glass ornament in shards below. Edgy stuff then, and well done by him.

This and the art from last night's links to Artzybasheff have truly served as palette cleansers, following the darker absurdities, deceits, lies and single-I focus of the perverted behavior and hypocrisy dominating last week's news.

MamaM said...

Which of the joints is in flames? Hojo's?

chickelit said...

The bottom right one -- Pizza Hut. Nick and Troop's fantasy.

chickelit said...

Because of the reflective glass (cheap), it's hard to photograph the detail. I need to take them out and scan them to do justice.

Oh, if you back up that link I gave you, you can see his "franchises." There's some good stuff in there. link

MamaM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MamaM said...

Thanks CL, I wandered around the whole thing, laughing and wondering as I wandered. For some reason, the God's Eye on a stick caught my eye, with additional and overall appreciation for the comics, franchises and the bio.

On the co-existence of humor and art in his work, he says, "I'm really working the balance. It's important that the two work together. Both are equally important."

He describes his artwork as "...a mixture of the absolutely ridiculous and something more serious...


Sound (and looks) a lot like gravity and levity, working together.

MamaM said...

so I hung this at the foot of the stairs where you can walk right up to it and examine it close-up.

Hanging it here was good too!