Tuesday, October 10, 2017

What's up leopard lily?

As a follow up to the plant story, and we were talking about plants, right, here are a couple of pictures of a plant that volunteered in my front yard. It has been identified as a leopard lily, AKA Belamcanda chinensis, Iris domestica and blackberry lily.



That last name puzzled me - the flower doesn't look like a blackberry, nope, looks more like a leopard. Not a tiger lily, mind you, but a leopard. As the season wore on and the seed pods opened up - each plant had one flower and easily a half dozen seed pods - what do you know, when they burst open they look like a blackberry. How about that? I took a picture of one of the remaining seed pods just now, but due to lack of rain and the lateness of the season they look somewhat desiccated. It is 81 degrees today, October 10th. Very humid, too. Not complaining, as winter will be here soon enough, just sayin'.



Now I have a great collection of seeds and I will plant the heck out of them. There will be leopard lilies as far as the eye can see.

This reminds me of an old tune I used to listen to back in the day:




6 comments:

ndspinelli said...

"Winter" is a relative term, my friend. We had our first frost last night. The sad end to tomato season.

chickelit said...

I wonder if those lilies would do well out here.

deborah said...

You should check if there is a 'bad puns' tag :)

chickelit said...

"All the pods are brown, and the stones are gray..."

Chip Ahoy said...

That's a good idea.

Because when goods ones just blow in that's for real.

Except for the times when people throw them in.

I'm worn out preparing for my brother's family visit. I had chores to run all over the place. Back and forth like six times. And I have all these cookies I want to get rid of so I put six cookies in a lunch bag and distributed them during my runs. Ended up giving away three dozen. Nearly all of them. The thing is I made five trays then realized I really don't want any more cookies.

The Dude said...

LOL @ Deborah - I really should check that out. Er, I mean, what bad pun?

Look into them, CL - my guess is that if you watered them during the summer and that they weren't in direct sunlight they would probably do fine.

We do get winter here, but not like those far up north Y*nkee winters. Those freeze the body parts off of brass simians.

Mmm, cookies...