Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Bruce Maxwell profile

Profiled.

So he says.

But that forced me to do a Bruce Maxwell profile.

Bruce Maxwell is the only Major League Baseball player to kneel during the national anthem. The report says, "take a knee" but that would force me to do another anim. Take a knee. What a ridiculous phrasing. I hate that phrase. It cannot be transliterated into anything and come out making sense. It's in the same category of nonsense uniquely English phrasing as "taking a poop."

Maxwell goes into a restaurant in his hometown, Harvest Alabama, and was denied service by a Trump supporting waiter.

Ew, those bastards are everywhere.

From The Blaze:
I got racially profiled in my hometown, the day I got home. I wasn’t even home four hours and I got denied service at lunch with a city councilman, who is also African-American and a guy I went to high school with, because the dude recognized me as the guy that took a knee and he voted for Trump and was at that Trump rally in Huntsville, Alabama. So he denied us service at lunch, and they had to go get us another waiter to wait on our table in that same restaurant.
He was like ‘Oh, yeah, you’re that guy huh? You’re the guy who took the knee? I voted for Trump and I stand for everything he stands for.’
Our councilman went and got the manager and had some words with him, and they went and got us another person to serve our table.
That’s where I’m from. Unless you’re subject to it, you won’t understand it and you won’t feel it. I’m 26 years old, I’m very respectful, I’m very educated, but it still happens to this day. So that’s the reason why I’m kneeling. Stuff like that. It’s crazy to talk about it, but it’s real.
Sympathy. For the man being very educated but still mixing his race with his antagonizing protests and with sports. He wasn't racially profiled except for this protests being about race. He was recognized as the one guy in baseball who dishonors the country that the flag and the anthem represent. He was recognized by a waiter (!) with more respect for his country than the guy who tacitly said "fuck this country" before playing that country's popular sport.

Protest rejected. Mischaracterization of racial profiling rejected.


That's how you say "shape." The textbook sign for "profile" is different. But who cares? Words mean what I make them mean. 

Sometimes as I'm typing and words are spilling out of me I wonder, "are these words even working?"

Just as Bruce Maxwell believes racial profiling can be applied to his waiter being pissed off with Maxwell's own racial protests enough to risk the waiter's own job. Maxwell should be cheered that his messaging got through.

And Maxwell did play baseball after he knelt.

Wouldn't it be awesome had the waiter knelt silently with his head bowed for the length of time for the anthem to play, but without it playing, while holding Maxwell's plate full of food? Then he could say that he did serve the table but only after protesting Maxwell's disrespectful protest. Maxwell would be all, WTF? 

Oh well. There goes another sport.

7 comments:

edutcher said...

The Rangers (as in US Army) use take a knee (probably where the creeps got the phrase) to mean a position where the patrol reduces its physical profile to await an all-clear or to hear information (I'm sure other combat infantry types do the same, I just saw a pic with Rangers doing it and the term was used; BTW this was years ago).

I think bball isn't as awash in black players as the NFL, so this may not be a thing.

We'll see.

Rabel said...

Tried watching the first game of the series. Couldn't hang in. Baseball is just so slooooow.

I used to watch the Cubs and still watch a little college ball but I guess I'm forever done with pro baseball. It might be different if I had a local team to pull for. Maybe.

Rabel said...

Also, fuck Bruce Maxwell.

MamaM said...

I am tired of the signaling. At class this afternoon, I looked up after the teacher asked another student if she needed some "paper towels sent" to her (an odd phrase that didn't fit with what we were doing) and was informed with laughter that paper towels were what Trump sent to Puerto Rico, with the unspoken implication being that such a response represented the focus and extent of aid sent.

And there I was, after not catching the first signal, publicly left with the option of joining in the ridiculing laughter as a form of playful agreement, or not joining in and thereby exposing myself as a clueless, or worse yet, dumb and uninformed supporter of all things Trump, even though neither place was a fit or worked for me.

While these are people I mostly enjoy being around and interacting with, when the political posturing and signaling starts, it feels like high school all over again.

edutcher said...

You got it, kid.

A lot of Leftism is about seeing themselves and being seen as the Cool Kids and being able to look down on the Deplorables. If you're my age, you remember the old song, "The In Crowd".

Problem is, for the last quarter century, with the rise of Conservatives realizing they're not alone (Rush, Interwebz, Fox, blogging) and they see the Left as objects of contempt (Ozark Mafia, Choom Gang) more than as hate or worry. So the Lefties have a tougher time feeling cool.

ndspinelli said...

If you are watching the World Series MLB is rubbing the NFL and NBA noses in the dirt. And, they aren't making any edicts. In LA last night they had a conservative Country singer, Brad Paisley, singing the anthem. It seemed to me Fox made a point of showing the many Hispanic players standing erect w/ hands over their hearts. These guys know how great this country is because they come from 3rd world countries. They had a military fly over and the crowd roared.Nothing is stated, but the visuals and noise says "FUCK YOU NFL/NBA HATERS OF THIS COUNTRY!"

ndspinelli said...

Last night in Scottsdale this shitbird was arrested for pointing a gun at a food delivery driver. The waiter in Alabama says Maxwell is lying about the restaurant incident. Doesn't know who the fuck he is. He now has his 15 minutes of infamy.