Monday, May 30, 2016

Love Letters from the Front Part Two



June 24, 1876
My dearest Libbie,
I sit here on the prairie with my back against my saddle gazing at the stars and dreaming of you my darling girl. I am on the cusp of my greatest victory. A victory so great that you fondest desires will inevitably come to fruition.
We will attack the savages at dawn. The Seventh will ride to glory and everlasting fame. A large encampment of these base aborigines are in the Black Hills below us and I will charge right down the valley. Just as I charged down that sweet sweet valley of your innermost self on the night we first made love. You remember that night. How could you ever forget?
I know I have not been a perfect husband. I have made many mistakes.  A man’s needs as a man must. I know you always believed me despite the gossip and rumors. I also am keenly aware of how betrayed your felt when you found the stained blue frock of the Queen of Sheba in our quarters. It is a mistake I will regret to my grave.

That is all in the past. After tomorrow everything will change. Your correspondence with General McClellan and the other poohbahs of the Democratic Party has led to their agreement to support me throwing my hat into the ring. I will resign my commission and stand for President as has been your fondest desire. Beside the touch of my sweet sweet member on your skin.
General Sheridan has given me this chance and I shall not squander it. The General knows what must be done. He is not one to listen to the Quakers and Nay Sayers and Pantywaists who decry the type of war we face. The Army must proceed and wipe out this danger to our civilization. I will ride into the valley and destroys these savages root and branch. Men. Women. Children. No quarter can be given. I hope and pray that there will always be commanders who will give the troops in the field to license to complete the job no matter who unpleasant it might be. Victory is our only option on this you must rely.
Once this odious duty is complete I will return to your loving embrace my dearest. Together we will proceed in triumph and show that the Democrat Party can finally retake the Presidency. Together we  will rule wisely and justly. The people will get two great minds for the price of one.
I cannot express the depth of my love and desire for you my most precious Libbie. I hold a lock of your hair next to my heart and count the hour’s nay the minutes until we are reunited.
With all of my love and longing,
Your Dearest Autie.



4 comments:

edutcher said...

Well, I thought the best he thought he could do was Commissioner of Indian Affairs.

And he did love the West more than most.

chickelit said...

Well, I thought the best he thought he could do was Commissioner of Indian Affairs.

Custer had affairs? I thought he didn't do one last stands?

edutcher said...

Actually, those "affairs", with Indians or anyone else, are more speculation than anything.

edutcher said...

PS in answer to Who's That Girl, it's Elizabeth Bacon.