Thursday, August 14, 2014

suicide in ASL

There are a lot of ways to convey the idea, most involve the word "kill" that looks so much like the word "immigrate" or "move under" and nothing at all like the word "die," one of my all-time favorite words.

Some dictionaries do not have the word "suicide." I suppose it's just one of those words that does not occur when people are compiling a dictionary, or perhaps too unpleasant a word to include. Seeing the specific ways to off oneself;  holding a two finger gun to the head, you can imagine the gun needn't be held at the temple. Some people do this in real life by holding the gun under their throat. And then there is slicing the wrists, a word that goes by so quickly it can be missed. Seeing those two specific ways suggests other ways the idea can be pantomimed specifically to depict choking, hanging by an invisible noose, tilting your head and sticking out your tongue, stepping in front of a train, electrocution, jumping off a bridge, walking into a lion's den, holding an asp to one's neck, seppuku, driving a car off a cliff, eating until you explode, what have you.


Kill myself (suicide)


Shoot myself in head (suicide)


Cut both my wrists (suicide)


Myself kill (suicide)

Self individual kill (suicide)
Kill me (suicide)


Name world kill yourself s-u-i-c-i-d-e prevent day I stand support
with u-n-i-t-e-d  n-a-t-i-o-n-s

1 comment:

MamaM said...

Ok

#5 in the brown/red sweater gets my vote as hers includes a strong facial expression that conveys something serious going down.

The finger doinking around at the end with u-n-i-t-e-d-n-a-t-i-o-n-s made me laugh, following the big stand and support gestures.