Wednesday, August 20, 2014

KLEM FM


I promised to go back to 1958, but I'm skipping back to 1956 first. This video shows (I think) the transitory nature of rock and roll in 1956. What's there in 1956 certainly wasn't there in 1951 (or maybe it was -- in pieces, constituted differently). And it wasn't like this in 1964. The late 1950's rock and roll was a transitory phase -- on its way to someplace else. Oddly, I thought the same way about the SS Great Eastern, the most famous ship to have sails, paddle wheels and a screw propeller -- literally the past, present and future of ship propulsion. I subsequently thought the same way about evolutionary "missing links." Their existence is so fleeting and chimerical that it's no wonder there is no fossil record of them.
_____________________
The video gives a great snapshot of the extant "lingo" in 1956.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It is funny that what was once edgy and new-- is now tame and sedate.