Sunday, September 16, 2018

Speed it up

When I first began seeking independent sources for political information, finding them one-by-one then checking out all of the blog rolls for each of the places I found, I was surprised to learn how high a regard conservatives had for Reagan. I did not regard him the same way. From my point of view he was an actor, and one I had no interest in, a guy whose co-star one time was a monkey and who ran on denying returning the Panama Canal because in his view the Panamanians were too unreliable for such an important thing as that. How embarrassing. I knew him as the guy who challenged the air controllers risking national disruption to drive his agenda, and I appreciated that, but then the guy said he didn't remember crucial elements of trading arms with Iran for return of the hostages. And arming Nicaraguan fighters. While the new people I began reading virtually canonized him. 

I'll admit seeing the Berlin wall being torn apart is one of the thrills of my life.

Trump is better than Reagan. Trump is magnitudes of order beyond Reagan. Above Reagan. So far as globalism draining the life force from America's vaunted and enviable middle class, Reagan is as responsible as any. Imagine this; who is there that dare tell Trump to "speed it up."  

3 comments:

edutcher said...

I have to agree. Reagan was no dummy, but Trump reads Sun Tzu.

That's how he keeps winning.

In fact, his sister, the Federal judge, was asked what was it like fighting with her brother when they were kids and she said she finally gave it up because he always won.

Always.

Keep that one in the back of your head.

deborah said...

I have never gotten the Reagan adoration, but at that time I news was just talking heads to me. I wonder what I would have thought about him if he surfaced when I had turned into a news junkie.

ampersand said...

I never voted for Reagan, I voted Libertarian those years when they were sane. Reagan got several things right. He screwed up two important things we're still paying for, amnesty for four million illegals and Bush as Vice-President. I wonder if Bush talked him into signing the amnesty bill.