Sunday, September 23, 2018

My weekend so far

Friday evening as I was wrapping up the week's work I heard a loud cracking sound - a large branch had snapped off the large Bradford pear tree in my front yard and crashed to the ground. While I would have preferred to prepare my evening meal and retire for the night I decided to spend some time cleaning up the mess - no time like present to git 'er done.

How the broken limb presented:


And from the other side:


I went about my business and when I got home on Saturday I was able to continue sawing the branch into pieces and pruning the smaller twigs off:


Not wanting to run the chainsaw on Sunday I spent the morning using pruning shears to cut the branches into pieces that would fit into my cart. I hauled them back to the burn pile and piled them thusly:


This particular tree is not the usual cultivar of Bradford pear - for one thing, it produces thousands of tiny fruit:


Or maybe it is millions. Who knows? Another clue is that it is huge - that is the main group of trunks and the saw in the foreground has a 3' long bar:


My blackberry lilies were almost a complete failure this year - first it was too dry, then we had a prolonged rainy spell, then they fell over, but they produced seeds anyway:


As I wrote earlier my efforts to propagate them were not successful, but one new plant sprouted off of the underground bulb system, so maybe I will be bold and try to transplant that one. Fortune favors the bold, right?

There is still a ton of Bradford pear wood to move but I received a call from a friend and what do you know - I and my dog were invited on walkies, our first since June. So forget about hauling wood, let's go for a walk on a cool, overcast afternoon. During our jaunt through familiar but subtly changed areas I saw some flars:


M R purdy.

Later, after consuming mass quantities I shall resume my mighty labors. Much remains to be done just to catch up with where I was before the limb fell.

Rumor has it that TS Florence is reforming and heading back. I have no idea. But there is always a song, regardless of the possibilities.

10 comments:

ricpic said...

Woody

Just reading this post I got tired.
Exhausted! Exhausted I say.
Hope the stroll got her passions fired
And ended - perhaps - in a lay.




Hey, this is a deja vu poem. Don't tell me, there had to be dogs involved as well.

ricpic said...

On a second close reading I see there were dogs involved. That'll learn me.

windbag said...

Nice chainsaw. I bought a Makita this year. Got a great deal on it. It's the old aqua-colored hue. Makita went to the orange Stihl-lookalike hue. We lost our Bradford pear about seven or eight years ago. I'll never plant another. A lot down the road from us is lined on two sides with Bradfords. About a third of them split off two or three years back. The lot looked nice up until that happened. How old is your Bradford? My trunk was probably only 12" when it went.

The Dude said...

As I say, this one is a different cultivar - it is shaped differently, produces tiny fruit, and this one is probably on the order of 60-70 years old, which means it has been through quite a number of hurricanes.

But it is brittle, nonetheless, as it is still a Bradford.

That saw is an old Stihl 088, they have since renumbered their product line and that model is now called an 880. Tricky bastards, those Krauts.

Also, I square file the teeth so that I can use it to rip logs. Also, the chain is full-skip - only one cutting tooth per 3 drivers.

chickelit said...

I covet your chainsaw, Sixty. Be Stihl, my beating heart.

The Dude said...

It is a great saw, Куриный человек. I bought it back in 2000 and have many hours on it. I have worn out 3 bars and innumerable chains. It has 125 cc, if I recall correctly, and I find it amusing that it has a larger engine than the old Honda 90 that I used to ride back in '68. Times and leisure pursuits change over the decades, eh?

AllenS said...

My weekend? Oh, boy. Thursday, when taking a shower the water stopped running. Called the well people and had water by mid afternoon after they replaced the pump. Because of the new pump being installed, a lot of more than usual loose sand was in the water. I bought this place in 1973, and had to remove all of the screens on the faucets, and the screens to the washing machine because the sand would eventually clog the screens up. Friday, I flushed the toilet and the water would not stop running. Last year I installed the new tech system for the toilet that doesn't have a float to shut the water off. Went to the basement and shut the water off to everything. On my way to Menards to buy a new shut off, a passing large truck with a large back hoe on it went by and a rock hit the windshield. Didn't see any cracks so I kept going. After shopping I looked at the windshield, and it was cracked at the bottom, but only about 1 inch. By the time I got home it was about 3 inches. Sunday morning, I washed a load of clothes (whites), and when I got to the machine I could hear water running and the indicator said that it was off. Pulled the elec plug and the water was still running, so I had to shut the water off. Switch is broken, but I think that the sand eventually screwed up the washer. Not even going to try and fix it. Have to buy a new one. Had to hand wring the clothes and hang them on the clothes line. I did manage to cut some firewood, and will split it today. Hopefully.

The Dude said...

My life, as difficult as some days seem, is a picnic compared to yours, AllenS. I like city water which is mostly sand-free and the pump is the city's problem. Also, being colorblind I just wash all my clothes in on batch. Easy-peasy.

AllenS said...

I have work clothes that get very dirty/greasy, and have to be washed separately.

deborah said...

Sixty flashed us again.