Thursday, September 27, 2018

Nectarines

Peach season has ended but the nectarines taking their place are ripe, juicy and full of flavor. They're blowing my mind.

I wasn't sure the things that I bought are called nectarines. What a great name. So I looked it up. Right at the top of results, yesterday but not today, Wikipedia showed peaches.

Why do peaches show when I look up Nectarines?

Here's what I learned yesterday. Peaches and nectarines are the same species.

How can that be? They taste like different things.

Native to China. Thank you, China.

But known to us through Persia (Iran). Thank you, Iran.

Belongs to genus Prunus that includes cherry, apricot, plum, and almond. In the rose family.

Classified with the almond in the sub-genus Amygdalus. Here's the kicker, the stone inside peaches tastes so similar to almond that peach stones are used to make a cheaper version of marzipan, known as persipan.

I had no idea.

Much more peach information at the link.

No comments: