Friday, August 9, 2019

Tropical fish

They're all common popular aquarium tropical fish species. The shipment of 48 neon tetras just now arrived. All three species are babies. They were all fed flake food smashed to powder. They all scramble like mad. They're only now starting to settle down and form into groups.

The USPS guy dropped the box outside my door. When I answered it by then he had returned from a delivery further down the hall as I opened my door, he bent down and tossed the box inside my apartment as I'm thinking, "THERE'S LIVE FISH IN THERE!" But instead I said, "Thank you."

They settle in three distinct layers; a group of baby harlequin rasboras at top, a group of larger boesemani rainbows across the center, and tiny baby neon tetras clustered in shifting groups at the bottom.

The rainbows have not yet developed their color. Eventually they'll grow orange on the back half of their bodies and gorgeous light turquoise on the front. The neon tetras are smaller but more concentrated colors.

In the bag the neons' color was completely washed out. They looked entirely silver, while in the tank under the lights they lit up to extremely bright colors. As they grow they'll all be even more spectacular. It's a very good combination of colors, and all three species are hearty. They're very good species for beginners.






48 neon tetras
30 harlequin rasboras
10 boeseman rainbows

That's what, 88 right there.

10 more, I think, in the back bathroom waiting to be returned to the front. 

Maybe 8, maybe 10 mature harlequin rasboras
2 mature neon tetras
1 mature female betta who misses me. She comes to the top and front of the tank every time I go back there. 

They will be masters of their tribes when I put them in their new large tank in the same spot as the old tank. 

The tank is a partial room divider. These shots are from the back on the sofa. 

The tiny neons are adorable exploring the bottom of the tank. They move as amorphous clouds around the row of nine Chia Pet rams. 

As babies I'll feed them several times a day and each time the tank becomes pure chaos. It's fun watching them chase down all the little dots of food then settle in satisfied from feeding while still looking. 

7 comments:

ricpic said...

"The tank is a partial room divider."

Must be a good sized room. I'm guessing 20 X 20 or thereabouts. Anything skimpier would be overwhelmed by a tank room divider.

ken in tx said...

Neon Tetras are native to Thailand. I saw them in the klongs there. Blogger has an ad for Thai Easy dating, with a pretty Thai girl pictured next to this post.

ampersand said...

Are these gonna turn up in "Things wot you made then ate" blog?

Chip Ahoy said...

I was thinking about that. The rainbows were $15.00 each and they're only 1 inch and probably weigh 1 millionth of an ounce. Food fish at its most expensive is a LOT less than these tiny buggers.

I'll never complain about the cost of food fish again.

Yes I will

No I won't

Yes I will.

NO, I WON'T

YES I WILL!

chickelit said...

Brichardi Chiclid

edutcher said...

Tetras and rasboras are very cool.

Love the way rasboras will just vibrate when they're hanging out.

Sounds like a very nifty arrangement. You have more guts (and faith) than I would ordering by mail.

Unknown Soldier said...




Matthew 11
[15] He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.

Revelation 11
[15] And the seventh angel sounded; and there were great voices in heaven, saying, The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of his Christ; and he shall reign for ever and ever.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
NEW TESTAMENT BIBLE STUDY
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<


Billionaires are BRILLIANT !

scratchwiththechickens@gmail.com
seeking benefactor


!