Sunday, August 25, 2019

Nikon mirrorless cameras

Sony and Canon already had mirrorless cameras. Now Nikon is catching up.

As you know SLR, single lens reflex means the camera uses a mirror so that the photographer can look through the lens for their shot. When the photographer pushes the button the view goes blank as the mirror gets out of the way for the light to hit the sensor.

There must be space inside the camera for this mirror and prisms and mechanisms to move in and out.

The mirrorless cameras obviously get rid of the mirror. They're a little bit more compact.

The unfortunate thing about them is they take their own lenses.

You can still use the old SLR lenses for full sensor frame or for 3/4 sensor frame that most people have, by using an adaptor piece.

What a bummer!

These are Nikon Z series.

Everyone says "zed" instead of "zee" like we're all British now. Blah.

They get on my nerves.

My last good nerve going twang twang twang like a one-string banjo.

Zed.

Z6 is 24.5 megapixels for $1,800.00 body only.

Z7 is 46 megapixels for $3,000.00 body only

Prices vary. You can do much better buying used. People get these things, don't use them and offer them with very low usage at tremendous discounts.

Both are full frame. That means the sensors are large as 35mm film cameras, the standard of photography for ages.

We've been putting up with these 3/4 size sensors because they're so excellent and hardly anyone cares and we optimize the heck out of them anyway to make the photographs useable on the internet.

While theoretically you can shoot in raw and print a billboard from them. They are ridiculously overpromising for everyday use. Only professionals bother with the full frame cameras.

And only a wierd-o needs more than 24 million pixels. Honestly the 46 million megabit shooting fills up storage cards quickly and slows down processing tremendously. It takes longer for computers to handle them. And their contribution is not noticeable in everyday use. Who among us is printing billboards? With significant detail.

Just look at the photographs of Trump. These are all taken by professional photographers using incredibly expensive equipment in cameras and lenses and ALL of their photos look like crap. Look at [Trump] in images. That's what top of the line equipment gets you when you optimize the H-E-Double mike booms out of them.

So anything over 24 megapixels is just being silly. And stupid. And slow.

Come on!  

24 mp is more than enough for anything anyone might do. The Z6 can take a lot more photos per second than the more expensive Z7 can. For whomever might need to take a bunch of photos per second. I've never needed that. I don't shoot sports and such.

I've reached an unhealthy conclusion.

We photographer types are a weird lot.

Honestly, the photographers who upload videos are all weird. They speak with insane accents. They speak like user manuals, all technical crap that only experts understand, and when you do understand them it's all crap. A guy films his review of Nikon Z6, presumably with a Z6, but in black and white. They all talk about stuff that nobody cares about, things that have nothing to do with the camera. They're all out of their f'k'n minds. They're impossible to watch.

I can't tell you how discouraging this awareness is.

It makes me so sad.

Every group I've ever involved myself turns out to be a collection of crackpots; dog training, dog showing, obedience, confirmation, artists, gardeners, hang gliders, boy scouts, civil air patrol, pop-up constructors, and photographers. You name the group and you simultaneously name the crackpot.

:-(

This is the one person I saw talking about Nikon mirrorless who is the least like that.

Maybe there are others better than this. But I haven't seen them. I gave up on about twenty people. All men as it turns out. Come on, Women, what's your problem, aren't you weird enough?

2 comments:

XRay said...

'hang gliders'...wonder how Bagoh is doing?

I think we're all crackpots... just some are more crackpottyer than others.

Chip Ahoy said...

The hang glider crowd is the least crackpottiest of them all.

Except they are all males.

At the time they liked playing hacky-sack while waiting for weather to develop. Around here there is a lot of waiting involved in hang-gliding.

And I noticed how even-tempered they are. How well they behaved together. How cooperative they are and apparently problem-free. Non argumentative and well-balanced emotionally and physically.

But then, to a man, they each wanted to fly like a bird. And they did. They actually flew around similar to birds. As close to that as possible.

SSL interpreters -- strange
Readers to blind -- strange
Hieroglyphic students -- strange
Cooks -- strange
Art framers -- strange
Skiers -- strange

Name it, collectively they're a bit off.

Mind, I have fun with all of them. I'm not complaining. I fit right in. But I must admit, that's because I am odd. That's the realization.

The hang glider people were one group where I thought, wow, I think I finally found my kindred spirits. But that didn't last. The last terrifying crash put an end to that dream-like activity.

Speaking of dreams.

Hang gliding changes one's dreams the way skiing and swimming does except even more.

Movement in dreams is like skiing even without skis and without shoes. It blows your mind in the dream. Then hang gliding turns movement in dreams to be like hang gliding, except with the ability to go up at will. You fly around and land as hang gliders do.

It's f'k'n awesome!

I think that's why the hang gliding people are so apparently mentally stable. We talked about dreaming. "I used to dream like I'm swimming through the air and now I dream like I'm flying sometimes with and sometimes without a hang glider. "

There is a definite sense of control in movement in the dreams. And that power gets stronger. It's extremely liberating and calming. And I'm certain all that carries over into real life, the solid part of our existence. It affects movement and control and satisfaction and happiness.

When I lost my actual movement in real life, the dreams of flying continued. I still dream like that. And when I wake up before I'm fully conscious, without thinking, I assume I can still walk. I can't even say how many times I woke up and crashed in a heap beside the bed because I assumed my legs would hold me up and carry me across the room. How rude for that to be falsed!

What a rude awakening that is.

I'm all OH FUCK ME I still cannot walk.