Tuesday, August 20, 2019

I don't like real instruments in music

I've been watching a lot of videos that are reactions to rock and roll mostly by people who did not grow up with it. It's a whole genera on YouTube. In some cases they heard it while concentrating on other things so it was in the background of their lives and now they're sitting down and listening.

The one recommended is a woman hearing Led Zeppelin's Babe I'm Gonna Leave You. This song was not part of her culture.

The song has elements of Rambling On. So I watched one of those. This man's story is a bit long. Longer than the song. He also reacts to the Immigrant Song.

American blacks reacting to Led Zeppelin songs are the best. For many it's a whole new mind blowing thing.

Kids react to Led Zeppelin. They're mostly positive but there is one boy who just doesn't like real music. That's what his dad says. At first I was annoyed with him. Then I was amused. Vastly. Some kids are just musically retarded and there is nothing that can be done for them. Imagine growing up with synthesized music with everything run through Autotune and that's your conceptualization of music fixed in your mind that excludes everything else. Your preference. All those various clunky analog instruments people spend their lives mastering. Yuk. When it's all be done so cleanly digitally on keyboard.

Similar to photography. I spoke with photographers who flatly reject digital cameras and processing.

He is opposite to my experience. It was my older brother who liked Led Zeppelin and who played them all the time along with other hard rockers as I struggled to understand the attraction. They grew on me. But only because Barry played them so much. He also liked hard classical. He showed me the two really do overlap. I formed the idea that if Beethoven and Mozart were alive in the 70's they'd be rockers and writing scores for films.

The youngest boy is pure delight. His mind is wide opened to receive whatever there is good about it.




4 comments:

windbag said...

I'm not a huge fan of reaction videos, but there are some good ones out there. I typically stumble across one when it's linked from somewhere else. I assume that it's entertaining when someone posts one, because they're so common, it'd have to be special for someone to link to one.

Anyhow, there was one where the woman was going to react to Jethro Tull's "Locomotive Breath." She pronounced it Luh-COH-ma-tive Breath. When she heard Ian Anderson pronounce it correctly, she shrugged. That's what gets me with so many people these days (and it's not just youngsters). They care not a smidgen that they are ignorant.

I don't think it's confidence.

chickelit said...

I was around 9 or 10 when I first heard Led Zeppelin II. I recall that first song vividly. An older kid who lived a few books down from us had it and brought it over. We played it on my parent's console stereo. Instantly hooked. .

chickelit said...

At the time, we refered to that kind of musics as "heavies." I don't think the term "heavy metal" was in vogue yet though that term would subsume all that earlier stuff later on.

Amartel said...

One of the little boys looooves Led Zeppelin, probably because he's heard it before because of his Dad who is a fan. The older boy with the longish hair is at the age where he wants to be cool and knowledgeable so he doesn't like "old" music with the real instruments but he almost cops to liking Led Zep despite himself. Good music is timeless and Pop music is popular for a reason. It's kind of odd that more black folks don't know this music very well, that it comes as such a big surprise. No one's keeping them from listening to it.