Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Oleta Adams, Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me

The discussion elsewhere was about Elton John defending some British prince and his whacked American wife about flying around all over the place. Commenters regard Sir John as court jester.

Another commenter said that all Elton John / Bernie Taupin songs that he's heard covered by other people are better than the original by Elton John.

Face it, his songs are great but he's not that great of a singer. His hits really are better sung by others. Elton John has fantastic piano skill but that's it. He doesn't write his own songs, and he doesn't sing them the best. He uses gimmick eyeglasses, fur and feathers and sparkles for stage presence. Other singers have presence by their voice.

The Two Rooms album shows this. Every song on it is better than the original.

Oleta Adams blows me away. She sings this song as a gospel. I really like her take on this song.



I think I saw her one time in a basement lounge in New York. 

Friends and I were taken out to dinner before Oleta was famous and a woman very much like this was singing her heart out down there. The whole time I was thinking, "Oh man, she is awesome!" 

6 comments:

Amartel said...

Totally disagree. I love his voice. I don't know if it's a "great" voice with range and tones and all the whatnot by which we judge voices but it's a perfect pop music voice, distinctive and interesting but accessible, so it doesn't have to be "great."

ricpic said...

In Tennessee William's The Fugitive Kind the Victor Jory character, in that voice of doom he had, says, "Son, don't let the sun go down on ya in Macon County." Who does he say that to? The Marlon Brando character natch.

ricpic said...

Oops, Tennessee Williams'. Gotta watch those apostrophes.

windbag said...

I'm not sure I've heard any cover that was better than Elton's original version for any song. I've heard plenty that are good, but I wouldn't call any of them better. Some good covers include Eric Clapton doing "Border Song," and Brandi Carlile's "Madman Across the Water."

ampersand said...

"Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me" has multiple meanings in Elton's circles.

The Dude said...

"Snakeskin"! Jaguar XK 120. Not a great movie, but what excellent props.