Saturday, August 10, 2019

Tempura



You should make this. It will impress the h-e-double chopsticks out of your significant other. And even more so your insignificant other.

One time I made it for a woman at my previous apartment and she was all, "Omg, can I take some of this home with me?" And I was all, "No."

It's evanescent.

It doesn't reheat in the microwave.

Tempura flour is all purpose flour + cornstarch + baking powder. Some brands have powdered egg white.

You can use soda water instead and put egg white into your batter. 

I don't like buying specialty flours when I have all the ingredients in my pantry that go into them, like pancake batter.  Screw those one-purpose things.

From the packages of tempura flour on Amazon.





I made this and similar things several times since the beginning of another food-related blog.

Tempura catfish, butternut squash, green beans, mushrooms, onions. I used beer in the batter.



Cod and shrimp.


Shrimp, beans, broccoli.



Chicken tempura


Green beans and Belgian beer.


Cod and shrimp.


Vegetable tempura



Chicken tempura made with beer.



Tempura shrimp and vegetables.




Maybe that's all.

And maybe I have another page of search results.

Tempura green beans.


Tempura style lamb strips.





Tempura style fish sticks.






Chicken tempura.


Salmon tempura.


alors là, mes frères. It's an idea, not a set of strict rules. 

At the end of the video the narrator suggested adding crunches and the chef spritzed batter onto his shrimp. 

I've made it a practice to observe chefs, sometimes disconcerting for them especially with my other practice of questioning, and one time I observed a Japanese cook carefully spoon extra batter directly into the pan of hot oil and onto the shrimp already frying to create fried batter extensions similar to legs on the shrimp and I was all, "Wow, look at you." 

I've made tempura from sweet potato, best to cook it first because there is not enough time in the pan. That was my date's favorite. And I also cooked jalapeño peppers, those are my favorite, but Hatch chiles are very nice too. 

I've done clams, although those tend to splatter because they hold so much liquid, but they don't have to cook very long. Mushrooms are great because they become wet inside when they cook, so for those few precious minutes you have crunchy exterior with wet mushroom interior. 

Notice the chef holds his bowl of batter over the oil so he doesn't drip all over the place like I did that first time. Such an incredible mess. He doesn't set the bowl next to the oil, he holds it directly over the oil. 

And that pile he made is not enough. I could easily eat two of those servings. It's only a few pieces of seafood and scant pieces of vegetables. An hour later and you're hungry all over again. 

No comments: