Monday, October 22, 2018

Oo koo ley ley

I have no idea what that Hawaiian was warbling about, but he should leave haole songs alone.


That is Francis Scott Key's grave - my father's gravesite is right over there, to the left a bit.


Now that is how it is supposed to be sung.

Monday means ASL class. Here are two ASL renditions of our National Anthem.


This version has a better audio track, but the terp has an unusually flat affect.

This one has an amateur musical performance but the terp is very good, very emotive. 


I like to compare and contrast things like the word "yet". Little things make a big difference.

And if I never hear a singer go up an octave on the word "free" ever again I will be good. Stop it, really, don't do that. It upsets my dogs. Even the deaf one.

3 comments:

Chip Ahoy said...

"still there" is shown "stay"
"yet" is shown "continue."

Second one omits "yet"

They both show things being fired and bursting
Both omit "R" being shot that indicates "rocket"
and both omit "red"

They ALL omit "red" Goddamnit the rocket's glare is red.

Both look like they're interpreting for a stadium audience without a Jumbotron
overly exaggerated signals.

Both show what the lyrics mean while omitting the details and depth, beauty and poetry of the lyrics. Too much detail is forfeited.

Top one wins. Bottom one is goofy.

This song is difficult to sing. It's unnatural to memorize. It is unique. It's virtually sacred for Americans, so what's the problem with conveying all that difficulty in sign? Why does everyone simplify this song to its bare bones? As if showing it to children. It's difficult for hearing adults, that is, not easy as a pop song, so it should be unabridged, unedited, unsimplified and not exaggerated for deaf adults. Who knows? They might actually find it interesting. That's my story and I'm sticky wicket.


The Dude said...

I noticed the lack of red as well - we learned that one today - RED!!!

The first signer used not one bit of eyebrow space - come on girl - work those things! Then she started to crack a smile a couple of times at the end. Too deadpan, but there you go.

The shit of it is I am starting to dream in ASL. Fuh...

ndspinelli said...

My daughter is a nanny, and a mother. It is common to teach babies basic sign for "more, please, thank you, love, etc." Our 3 year old granddaughter speaks and never shuts up. I mean she is always talking. But, once in awhile I'll ask her if she remembers her basic signing and she does.