Friday, October 26, 2018

Happy birthday Domenico Scarlatti

It is said that he wrote 555 keyboard sonatas. I have listened to only a small fraction of them, but I do like this one:



A YouTube search on Scarlatti K. 159 will produce dozens of versions. Here is a harmonic analysis of the work played on some midi something or other, perhaps by a robot.


Interestingly enough even though Scarlatti was Neapolitan he worked in Spain and Portugal. I can hear the Spanish influence in his work.



But speaking of 555, and I think we were, did you know that the listed height of the Washington Monument is 555 feet? Coincidence? I think not.

2 comments:

ricpic said...

Freud: Vy zees compoolshin to write zo many zonatas, Signore Scarlatti?

Scarlatti: It make me happy.

Freud: Iz not zee verking out of zee Oedipal Complecz?

Scarlatti: No, it make me happy, you old prune.

The Dude said...

Or, "Eh, it's a livin'."