Thursday, February 28, 2019

I'm Not in Love, by 10cc

Long version. The other version is only 3 minutes. 



A segment on the television show "The Medium" started with the instrumentation of this song, and I'm all, "Oh, oh, I know that song."

I am amazed how the generations that followed me love this old song. Their comments on YouTube are touching. They know the music of their generation doesn't hold a candle to all that came before them. It's reaffirming seeing them acknowledge that.

One said, "I used to see my mother singing this song in the kitchen, and crying, and now I know why." Is that sweet, or what? 

The song has been covered a couple of times. A few times very well. But not by Tori Amos.




She covered the song, but not well.

Why wiccart13 chose this version and why he distorted his interpretation is for him to explain.

Ew, I hate this video to pieces.

* The background is distracting
* so is foreground and mid-ground
* he's smoking a cigarette
* he's doing something else while interpreting, playing Jenga.
* the whole thing is filtered drastically
* he chose a poor cover of the song when the original is much better 

But then, I'm forced to admit, you do see sign in compromised situations, in crowds, eavesdropping from unhelpful angles and distances, through glass with glare, wearing sunglasses, outdoors in weather, skiing with mittens, with complex backgrounds and with distracting sounds, with people drinking and smoking and playing cards and such. 

It's a challenge and so is this video.

The song is so slow it's no problem getting it all in, and he does, in English-sign. He is actually true to lyrics. It's all there. So after all that, it's a very good test for beginners.

A straightforward translation would be boring because the song is so simple and so repetitive.  

Plus it's the only one on YouTube. 

*whispers* 
Big boys don't cry
Big boys don't cry
Big boys don't cry
Big boys don't cry

8 comments:

ricpic said...

It's awful when the orchestration overwhelms and almost obliterates the lyrics and the simple tune the way this group does.

Amartel said...

Primo pop music. It doesn't pretend to be the first, the best, or the most profound. The lyrics don't have to make too much sense and the production can be for shit.
All that is required of primo pop is to evoke an era ... or a moment.
This one works for me. I had a string of jobs growing up where the radio was always on in the background, or at least in the break room, so I am pretty familiar with 70s pop music.

The Dude said...

I feel like Helen Keller over here - I cannot hear that and if dude is signing I am sure not seeing it.

I was just looking for an ASL version of Thunderstruck - no luck with that one, either. Bomp bomp!

Chip Ahoy said...

Sixty, the only thing he leaves out is the final "it's because" at the end of the stanzas.

Except for the last one when he shows that. The fourth one, I think. I have no idea why he leaves them out previously.

The concept for "stain" is not that clear. The idea of the picture hiding a stain on the wall is not that clear.

"Don't make a fuss" is not spelled out.

And he does add a little bit of pantomime here and there, such as throwing up his arms dismissively.

He shows "I call you" so quickly and subtly that it's hard to miss, but it's all there.

I wish he had used the original version. His video with all he did with it would be a lot better.

The Dude said...

Is that video like a photo negative or something? I am serious - I really can't see it. Cataracts and macular degeneration on top of being colorblind are not serving me well when trying to see that vid.

Chip Ahoy said...

Thunderstruck

It's shit.

The lighting is dith-pickable.

At a concert, chiaroscuro, you cannot see the signs. Plus, half the lyrics are "thunder" repeated and that sign is formed poorly.

See, it's touch the ear, then both hands make fists and shove (a shopping cart) twice.

It's a thunder bolt, held by a god, and shaken at the earth.

Then, "lightning" is an index finger tracing a large "Z" in the air in front of the torso. These two words go together.

Except with Prince.

Thunder all through the night promise to see Jesus in the morning light.

The Dude said...

I saw that video - and decided not to post it - thanks for the clarification on the proper sign - all I saw was the "bomp bomp".

My teacher made up an ABC list - "A" is for turtle, "B" is for elephant and so on. "Z" is for lightning, so I know that one.

And only the lucky or fortunate get to see Jesus, He is steering clear of my place. I hear He likes Denver, however.

chickelit said...

Not even gonna listen. I despise that song and always have. The singer sounds so needy. Thanks for nothing.