Sunday, February 3, 2019

Pop Quiz !!!

Guess fruit and vegetables.

I so aced this quiz. And that's from hanging around the Asian market and asking questions there and at Whole Foods and from shopping online for deliveries.

* examines fingernails like a dude.*
* examines fingernails like a lady*
* huffs breath on fingernails and buffs on shirt*
* scratches chest because not wearing a shirt*

I just recently learned about turmeric from asking the guy who works at Whole Foods, and I just learned about durian and long beans and rambutan from the Asian market. And a LOT of other things not on their table.

I wish they had showed young coconut, sapodilla, pomelo and guava, bamboo, water chestnuts, opo squash, taro, lotus root, daikon, lemon grass, choy sum, kumquats, galengal.

The juicing thing did this. It exposed me to tons of mysterious fruit and vegetables.

The youngsters did very well, actually. At one point I realized that I know more about vegetables than young checkout clerks do. So I help them. When I notice them looking up things I just tell them what the thing is, thereafter any pause and I blurt out the name and they appreciate that. Plus it presents a point for conversation. I can tell them what to do with it, "What you do is, take this chayote and stick it up your ... white sauce. It's also good raw in salads." At any rate, the young people here in the video are sports for guessing.

Tonight I leaned something.

Pomegranates have a season. You cannot find them anywhere around here. All at once, gone.

Also learned tonight, you can open an account with Instacart and they will hook you up with your best local grocery. Once on the site and looking around you can use their search feature, then scroll down on any page and click "pick another store" a menu drops down with other participating groceries including Whole foods, and Sprouts, Sam's Club, Costco, Lowes Mercado, Natural Grocers, Safeway, and a few other weird ones. That how I know you cannot find a pomegranate in Denver.

Their absence was so abrupt. That's not fair ☹️

No comments: