Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Colorado jogger kills a mountain lion that attacked him

This happened at Horsetooth Mountain Open Space west of Ft. Collins.


The cat was young, about a year old.

The man whipped his head around and saw a mountain lion stalking him.

He yelled and waved his arms to appear bigger.

The cat went for his neck but the man blocked it with his forearms. The cat clamped onto his wrist and wouldn't let go, even after the man reached for a rock and bashed its head.

The man put the lion in a headlock and wrestled with it on the trail.

When he finally got his wrist free from the cat he got on the cat's back and using his hands, arms and feet he choked the animal to death.

More at DailyCaller.

Commenters at Daily Caller say elsewhere online certain liberals express wishing it was the man who was killed. Their point of view is the man invaded its territory.

Others comment that joggers in that area should run with a firearm.




Sad.

I like mountain lions. I want them to live. Couldn't the guy just choke it until it passed out? And then go, "And let this be a lesson!" It could put the young mountain lion off stalking people permanently.

Can that even happen?

I like them so much that when I was sixteen I bought a gold ring with a mountain lion on it. That was when rings with regular lions on them were popular. Also mood rings. Also puzzle rings. But this ring was unique. It was the whole mountain lion, not the head, and no ruby in its mouth. This ring had the most amazing finish on it. Like 100 grit sandpaper for the cat's fur.

But gold being soft, and me being a klutz, that ring got bashed around quite a lot and its superb finish that was the whole fascination of it actually, wore off inside a year.

The re-finish was worse. Rough but not finely-rough.

And the second re-finish was even more coarse.

I wore it all the time for I loved it so.

Then one day when I was twenty-one, I was playing with my Belgian sheepdog in a nearby field where we went everyday. Such joy to see her running around exploring the high golden grass. I called her and she came running to me, and I mean running, fast as possible because for her nothing was better than returning to me. No lie. These dogs are like that. I petted her roughly with my hands flicking the thick fur around her neck, like Lassie except black, alternately like a dog shaking off water, when in the dry air that made my hands dry as desert and my fingers curved as claws the ring flicked off my finger and flung high into the air in a giant arc and landed somewhere in the tall dead grass. Gold on gold. I looked around for it in the faltering light but could not find it. I saw where it went. I knew where it was, I just couldn't see it. I told the dog to find it, but she had no training in tracking and she didn't know what I was talking about. I looked and looked and looked in the area where I knew that it landed. I marked the area and returned home.

What a bummer!

My only piece of jewelry was gone. 

And that f'k'n thing was expensive.

The next morning I took the dog out to the field again and looked for the ring again and found it in one minute. 

Happy ending right there.

Wanna see it?

It's large, Marge.


I haven't worn this ring in forty years. It's a boy thing.  I still have it over there in the drawer. It still fits.

It came with matching cufflinks but pfffft I didn't buy those.

2 comments:

Dad Bones said...

I've read that in Africa while most lions probably aren't man eaters, some are. My uneducated guess is that maybe this little lion would try harder next time. At any rate there's still plenty of mountain lions around to admire.

In a town not far from where I live a few years ago a woman jogger was attacked by a coyote that must have considered that little burg its "territory". She had to fight it off and suffered some bites in the battle. What would the liberals say about that?

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

I tweeted on this a few days ago. Having washed house cats in the tub, I am very much impressed this guy did this (even if the cat was young).