Wednesday, August 31, 2016

storm with flashes.

This was last night, a right proper storm with thunder and fantastic lightning. A downpour. I set up the tripod with wide-angle lens and the darn thing missed all the good ones. I adjusted the setting from A, (aperture hold and calculate shutter speed) to M (manual) and then it began picking up flashes. By then no strikes occurred directly in front of the camera. Still, it's interesting, at least it is to me.

I'll get this down eventually. Even though wide-angle, the range is constricted to an area between the building's two wings and the floor above that form a window of viewing. The strike must occur inside the widow. And I saw with my own eyes a few fantastic strikes that the camera did not capture and would have made great pics had the shutter release been activated. But it wasn't.

And that made me go all, WTF?

I think the difficulty I'm having explains why the strike finders get such mixed reviews on Amazon. It does take a good deal of practice. The camera setting must be just so or else the effort doesn't work. It's been an interesting project.

7 comments:

ndspinelli said...

Chip, If you ever move we'll have a hard time adjusting.

ndspinelli said...

But, maybe a new window view would do us all some good.

ricpic said...

It's gettin' stale, Chip. Could you add a chorus line?

Chip Ahoy said...

Are you suggesting I schlep this equipment around? like a common equipment schlepper?

The Dude said...

Dude, you make the most of what you have - don't ever change.

Joe Biden, America's Putin said...

Still some lightening teasers in there.

MamaM said...

The wateriness never fails to amaze. Like an ocean of skywater.