Sunday, November 24, 2019

Charmed

I am so charmed by this I cannot stand it.

I mentioned my young nephew intends to send me a white teddy bear. He's adorable holding the bear and explaining he couldn't decide for me whether to get a brown one or a white one. He's holding a white bear when his older brother butts in and gets all adorable hugging the Teddy bear as the younger boy holds it and continues speaking to the camera. To me.

Later, my brother told me the boy is sleeping with the teddy bear and that makes me a little bit sad because it tells me he likes it himself.

But I also like him infusing the bear with his vibes. That's going to make me like the bear 10x more. It is Nathaniel-vibe bear.

I really like this kid's vibes.

I like all of their vibes.

I must say, my brothers and sisters each produced the most beautiful children. I like all of them.

This brother married fairly late in life. He's a bit old for being a daddy. That has advantages I noticed before in other families. It seems to me by observing over time that children raised by grandparent-aged parents show a tad bit more equanimity compared with children their age. I noticed this when I was a teen. Slightly more calmness. Slightly more even tempered households. Older parents are more calm.

They don't freak the f out over every little thing.

But my brothers and sisters were already calm for the most part. They are not the usual screamers. Not that they don't scream. They are very well centered. All of their kids are calm by their nature. Again, compared with other kids.

I watched by brother correct his son for idly scribbling on the car's interior with markers. He stayed with him talking calmly as he had the boy scrub off the scribbles. No yelling. No swearing. No nothing. Just talking together and calm direction in scrubbing it off and great parental support throughout the whole episode. The boys are his own life.

I think the same is true all around. My older brother telling his grandchildren, "You break any of these nativity pieces and I'll break your little hands" is the same type of tender administration.

Kidding.

Different styles. That was just his way of adding emphasis. Go ahead and play with them, but don't break anything.

I did not know that my nephew reads this blog, although I did know his reading is voracious. He wanted me to know that he still has that earlier teddy bear we picked up from ToysЯus. He also wanted me to know that he and his brother actually did explore my parent's neighborhood. They took in the whole area on their bikes. But not when I or my brothers were around. At those times, the times that I see, they wanted to be with us.

Touching.

He is a man now, and he still has his bear.


I imagined that bear long gone. Dogs in the house, his scent on the bear. It didn't have a chance of survival. Yet here it is. 

That bear's eye could be fixed with a button.

3 comments:

Trooper York said...

Beautiful story Chip and very timely in that it is just before Thanksgiving.

Trooper York said...

You know the pilgrims served bear at Thanksgiving.

I ate bear once. It was disgusting. Just sayin'

Trooper York said...

Of course that is going to put me off on a bear tangent.