Monday, November 18, 2019

Aridog

Comment by Aridog, early November 2012. Referring to something I said:

Anyway my first trials were with hotdogs and always tasted of catsup. And those are not Asian ingredients. 

Uh, Catsup, or Ketchup, may not be a legendary "Asian ingredient" ....however, try to find a "Chinese Restaurant" in an Asian country, like Korea for example, without Catsup on the table...and if you want soy sauce you have to ask for it.

Pssst: yeah, I peruse your food blog now and then, it is great, and sometimes there are dishes I really like....and some I wonder what caused your dementia. :-)

This. Here. 


Our housekeeper, Sueko, showed me how to cook rice when I was ten years old. 

Fried rice is a common household dish that takes up leftover ingredients including leftover rice. 

My ingredients back then when Sueko showed me were a hotdog and catsup. Both extremely non-Asian. Tomato is a new-World plant. Catsup is American as all get out. Jokes are made about Americans putting catsup on everything such as meatloaf and fried eggs.  Jokes about American mass-marketing, about American poor taste, about catsup on things where it doesn't belong including hotdogs. Mustard goes on hotdogs. Not catsup. 

Catsup doesn't go with hotdogs and it doesn't go with fried rice, but that was me at age ten. Sueko laughed at my choices. 

5 comments:

ricpic said...

Actually, how different is the American penchant for putting ketchup on everything from the Southern Italian penchant for drowning everything in red gravy? Same preference for strong tomato flavor.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

I stopped putting ketchup on my fries and hot dogs and burgers about a year ago. I seem to be instinctually avoiding salty and overly sweet things.

Chip Ahoy said...

It's a tomato-based sweet and sour sauce.

ampersand said...

Wiki says Catsup originated in China but was originally a fish/spice sauce. In the UK and American colonies it was made out of mushrooms.

Some Seppo said...

Quick and easy sweet and sour sauce:

Ingredients

1 tbsp cornstarch
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup light brown sugar packed
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tbsp soy sauce

Dump in saucepan, heat until thickened.