Monday, November 25, 2019

Conan the Belgian Malinois taken to the White House

Odd name for a female dog, but whateves.

I cannot take my eyes off this dog. It behaves exactly as all three of my Belgians behaved. If the trainer would just put down his hand and touch the tip of Conan's ear, the dog would calm right down comforted by the human connection. Instead, Conan agitates to be touched. Even Pence will do, where his handler fails to keep touching, so long as Pence touches. A simple touch will suffice.

Tap her head, keep tapping, to tell her you're still there, still paying attention to her. She's very demanding for attention. She n-e-e-e-d-s constant attention.



American breeders must keep the Belgian types separate while European breeders do not, so, over time American-bred Tervurens and Malinois and Laekenois tend to lose black coloration of Groenendael types. Conan has very strong black coloration and to me that suggests recent European lineage.

They are all the exact same dogs by confirmation with the exception of coat. So when you pick a type of Belgian shepherd then you are picking a type of coat; jet black, tricolor long, tricolor color short or wiry.






You'll notice Conan appears to have a coat much darker than the Malinois pictured, and a bit longer. As if Conan is between Tervuren and Malinois with very strong Groenendael-black. 

All mine were Groenendael types, but I must say, that coat is a massive pain in the butt. 

Way too much vacuuming for me now. Way too much brushing.

If I were to choose now, I'd most likely do what police services do and go with the coat type that's easier to deal with, knowing that I'm getting the same dog.

Although, I still love those long coats. They're beautiful. Maybe they're worth all the trouble. 

3 comments:

edutcher said...

Women, they're all alike.

AllenS said...

OT

Snow forecast tonight, 9 to 13 inches.

We'll see.

ricpic said...

To pet the Malinois or Melania? Thinking.....thinking.....