Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Apical dominance

Gouge their eyes out!

Apical dominance is where the central stem of a plant is dominant over side stems. With caladium plants the stems emerge from eyes like a potato. The way to force more leaves to sprout from caladium plants is to gouge out the lumps containing the hormones that control this.

It's technical. Here's the Wikipedia page where they get way scientific about hormones.

Did I show you this already? Stop me if you heard this.


The second of two caladium bulb shipments arrived yesterday, so this is what I am doing today. This video was one of the first videos that I saw when I first discovered caladiums a few years ago. It is the most useful video I've seen. It's so drastic. Some of these bulbs have a lot of bumps on them so a lot of material is removed.

I wish that I had seen a video that explains that sometimes the caladium bulbs have roots grow on top of the bulb, like a head with hair. I assumed the roots always grow on the bottom so I planted those downward even if the bumps were on top. I suppose now I planted scores of bulbs upside down.

Yesterday I watched videos on storing caladiums over their dormant season. The trick is finding a storage place between 45-60℉. That's rather specific. So far I've failed three times. They all shrivel and died. Looking around I noticed the image page for [store caladiums] is prettier than the image page for [caladiums]. I think. Click image tab if you choose to compare.

1 comment:

deborah said...

Great vid, I love Caladiums.