Monday, May 21, 2018

Ladies of the West


She leaned back in her chair and adjusted her shawl over her ample bosom. Mr. Ford glanced at it appreciatively even though she was an old, old woman. He was a man made for appreciating women. No matter how old.  It was clear as the nose on her face. A nose so large that she was known as Big Nosed Kate to most. In the old days. The days he wanted to hear about.
Ford took a pipe out of his pocket. He absent-mindedly started to fill it with tobacco and lit it. I reckon he didn't think a little smoke would bother me. The ash tray full of butts must have been a clue.
“So Mr. Ford do we have a deal. I am willing to talk about those days and give you the true story. Not the one I have seen in the picture show. Where they make that Bastard Earp a Saint. He was far from that. Very far from that. What’s in it for me?”
“I can arrange a stipend for you Mrs. Cummings. Either a lump sum or a smaller monthly payment. It depends.”
“On what?”
“On what you have to tell.”
“Oh I have a lot to tell. You will get your money’s worth. Nobody was ever cheated by Big Nose Kate. You always got your monies worth. So before we palaver  I need to see the color of your money.”
“What do you expect Ma’am? That I put the money on your table? That seems sort of…I don’t know…crass.”
“Put it on the nightstand honey. It’s traditional. I told you. I’m a whore. I was Doc’s whore. Ringo’s. The Earp’s. More swinging dicks than I can count. I ain’t bashful. Show me how much you are putting there and I will tell you some of what you want to know.”
Ford stood up and reached into the front pocket of his tweed jacket. He took out a billfold and removed a $100 bill. He folded it and handed it to young McLemore who was hiding in the background trying to be quiet as a mouse so he would not miss anything. “Put it on the Lady’s nightstand Lad and leave us. I think Mrs. Cummings would like some privacy.”
“Call me Kate. All the boys did. At least the ones that paid me. Where do you want me to start?”
 “In the beginning if you would.”

” I am Hungarian. Born there and lived for the first few years of my life. I guess you knew that. My papa was a great man. A famous doctor. He was such a great doctor that when I was young girl we went to Mexico to serve the Emperor Maximillian. “
“ I must confess I did not know this. How long were you at court?”
“We were there until the Emperor was deposed. We fled to America to escape the bandits who took over Mexico. I was just a young’un in those days. Papa moved us to Indiana. It was the end of the War. Times was hard. Then Mama died. Soon after Papa. I was only fourteen years old. So they sold me to that Ici pici fasz bastard Otto Smith.”
“Sold you? That seems extreme.  Where you a slave? What do you mean sold you? Who did it?”
“Who did it? Why the Church of course. They took us in when Papa died. They always sold orphans off. I was young and ripe and that pig fucker would sneak into my bed at night. He put a stubby greasy finger in me the first night I was in his house. Until I was loose enough for him to stick something else in. While his fat wife snored in the next room.”
“My God that is terrible.”
“Not terrible just how it is Mr. Ford. Every girl I ever met on the Line had the same story. It was worse when it was your own father and not someone who bought you like a damned prize steer. So I guess I was lucky. I knew love until my own dear Papa died. I had something to hold onto and remember. It kept me alive on many a dark night Mr. Ford.”
“How long did this go on Kate?”
“For three long years. Finally I stole and saved enough to flee those horrible people. I stowed away on a steamboat. I got caught of course but the Captain of the Steamboat was a good man. There are still good men in this world. He didn’t take advantage of me. He and his wife had always wanted a child. I guess I was that for them. He sent me to school in Saint Louie. I was able to get an education at the convent. Captain Fisher was a good man I will say again. I even took his name. I was Kate Fisher. That was how Doc knew me. That is who I wanted to be.”
“So Doc was your own true love Kate?’
“No. I loved him I confess that I did. But my husband Silas was my true love. I met him at a parade soon after I graduated from the convent school. I was sitting in a gazebo with some of my friends and Silas came up to me as bold as you please. Said he had to meet the girl with that big smile. He was a dentist you see. Not a half ass tramp dentist like Doc. A real dentist who had a practice and a stable life. We commenced a courting and were married. Had a precious little girl named Anna after my dear Mama. We were so happy. The happiest I have ever been. Till they died.”
“They died? My goodness you had a hard life.”
“It was a life Mr. Ford. Just like any other. I had my troubles. Just like anyone. I am sure you have your own. If I stayed in that convent you wouldn’t talk to me now would you?”
“You have me there Kate.”
“I think that is enough for today Mr. Ford. Your time is up. Come see me tomorrow. I need my rest. Send that fool boy McLemore to see me. He has to make a whiskey run.  I am feeling poorly and need my medicine.”
“I will get him here directly Kate.”

8 comments:

The Dude said...

I'll proofread that if you like.

ricpic said...

Happy. Sad. Happy. Sad. And so it goes.

Kurt Vonnegut would add "and so it goes" or words to that effect at the end of his riffs. I think he was overrated but whaddaIknow.

In East Of Eden Steinbeck has long passages about how knockabout life was in pre-safety net America and about how many people sunk, they just sunk, they drifted about and then they went under. Not that that was a tragedy. It was the human condition. Hard. Probably going back to that...at some point.

The Dude said...

So it goes.

In Schlachthof-fünf the Tralfamadorians are described as seeing in four dimensions, simultaneously observing all points in the space-time continuum. They universally adopt a fatalistic worldview: Death means nothing but "so it goes".

It's a philosophy and a catch phrase!

Trooper York said...

Thanks Sixty. I am just noodling. It is an offshoot of my Doc Holiday book which is almost complete.

The Dude said...

I would proofread it for free, Noodler.

Trooper York said...

Thanks dude. You are the bomb.

Trooper York said...

I know you shouldn't say that about a guy who lives alone in the woods...but still it's true.

The Dude said...

I know, right? I can only aspire to the opulent lifestyle that Ted Kaczynski was able to afford. Man was livin' in the lap of luxury. Bet he even had shoes!