Thursday, June 13, 2019

Uptown funk

This is the best version I've seen.



"Don't believe me, just watch."

* "Don't" is thumb under the chin that juts forward
* "Believe" is an index finger at the forehead, thought, that is compressed with both hands like "marriage."
* "watch* is the thumb and curved index finger held at the eyes and pulled forward as if watching something. These guys say "watch" in front of the torso with no relation to the eyes. 

All interpreters show this song quite differently. 

In most I don't see "uptown" and I don't see "funk."

I don't even know what is meant by the term funk. Originally, an off smell. Later, a music genre of the 60's that focuses on rhythmic grooves. How they show it appears to be similar to "money," or "thing" or "dirt" I don't get it. 

* these guys do "uptown" as "town" + "advancing blocks up the arm" 

* "dragon" is fire coming from the mouth and expanding. 

I'm seeing it here as "claws." It appears to me. 


This woman does well. Her "just watch" is "you guys watch me." It's two "V" hand shapes, two eyes, pointing toward herself. She's fun to watch.


This woman is a complete mess and I hate every second of it. Flapping your arms around incoherently does not substitute for conveying lyrics. Look closely as you like and you'll see precious little actual sign. The key frame shows "C" placed on the chest for "cop badge."


Something went wrong here. The sound went off. I don't even know why they uploaded this. However, it is a very good interpretation by experts but hardly useful for beginners. If you know the lyrics and the music already then you'll see the choices made.


I don't see "Michelle Pfeiffer, that white gold" in any of the interpretations.

"Stylin, whil'n, living it up in the city" is heavily stylized in each version.

So much of it is attitude and that's expressed best at the end of this video when the sound comes on and there are no words. 

No comments: