Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Flat tire

I have brand new tires. One of them appears a bit flat.

I drove to the clinic in Parker. Quite a drive on a broad fast-moving highway.

Parker seems nice, a bit odd at its entrance as it appears to be planned for expansion. Large undeveloped areas then the clinic. Its in a large building with a very large parking area similar to a shopping mall. A car pulled out of a spot directly in front, so parking was perfect. The foyer is huge and the clinic is right at the front. It's office is huge with only one person waiting.

I was half an hour early so I pulled out my cell phone. Before I could bring up an internet browser my name was called. The scans went smoothly and comfortably.

Back in parking lot the tire looks worse. I'm worried about getting back on the highway.

I noticed a large gas station at the corner and that became my goal. I'd cruise around the shopping center looking for a place with an air compressor with the gas station as target.

Straight out of the clinic parking lot and into an adjoining parking lot I notice four open garage bays in the very first building. It turns out to be a Firestone tire dealership. Surely they can fill a tire.

A young man is entering the building as I am parking the truck. He smiles then enters.

Imagine a Firestone commercial. With a model dressed for the role and with military cut and manner. Red shirt uniform, pressed clothing presented with precision. Perfect grooming. Built like a college athlete and with that same positive excessive energy. He met me at the door.

I told him that I have brand new tires but one of them appears a bit flat. That I'm looking for a place with an air compressor that I could use. That the thought of driving the highway back to Denver with a somewhat flat tire was freaking me out.

     "Certainly. We have an air compressor. Give me your keys."

I reach into my pocket. I look a bit shocked.

"I locked my keys in the truck!"

     "That's okay. We can handle that."

"Psych! Just kidding. Here they are."

     "Have a seat if you like. I'll be right back."

He was gone for a long time. Finally I see the truck spin around the corner of the building. The guy looks great in my dad's truck. His red shirt against the red paint are perfect for each other.

     "I put air in each tire to the point they should be. But keep watch. If it goes flat again then take the truck in for tire repair."

"Good advice. Thank you. How much do I owe you?"

     "Nothing. It's free. This was easy."

8 comments:

Dad Bones said...

Good omens.

I'd keep an eye on that tire. There's always a chance they forgot to seal the rim. Or maybe the installer was in a hurry and didn't notice he didn't put enough air in it in which case nothing to worry about now.

ampersand said...

On Friday I hit a curb with my back tire. The next morning the tire was flat. Took off the lug nuts, jacked up the car, pulled off the tire and nothing. That wheel was stuck to the hub. Could not move it at all. Bang tire with rubber mallet. Spray WD-40 on bolts and hub. Nothing. Call Honda, service guy tells me to do everything I just did, no help.
Go online, some hillbilly had a video on how to remove stuck tire. He laid on his back and with his feet sort of stomped the tire left and right. If that didn't work his next step was the hillbilly part, Real Florida Man stuff. If you still can't get the tire off crawl under the car and kick the tire from that end. Holy Crap! He only had a jack holding up the car.
All the comments said he was nuts. The guy had biblical verses embedded in his video. He'll need divine help.
At any rate the foot stomp released my tire. Thank you Jesus!

windbag said...

My daughter hit this drainage grate in Asheville, and it blew a hole the size of a baseball in the tire. AAA was kind enough to show up and change it for her. It took all of 20 minutes from the time she called to him driving away. That may not sound impressive, but out here in the sticks, it would take at least an hour to ninety minutes just to get the guy to show up. Of course, out here in the sticks, we don't have obstacles like that in the road. I doubt the City of Asheville will reimburse me. That pic is old. They've repaved that street and the drop from pavement to the grate is way higher.

Dang cities.

Amartel said...

I drove through/into a pothole in Oakland that blew out my tire and I was stuck there in the middle of the night in the hood, all jacked up (it screwed up the rim and I couldn't get the tire off. AAA showed up in 10 minutes. They are the best! California, OTOH, is the WORST! So many taxes collected ostensibly for roadwork and the roads are crap and every road repair project takes months/years/decades and when it's done it was like the intentionally designed it to make traffic worse than before.

XRay said...

Good stories all. My funniest was while driving a 16 ft. stakebed for a construction company. I was loaded fairly heavy and while taking my freeway exit noticed a tire, all by itself, rolling down the road next to my truck. It was half of my right dually (is that the/a word?) that had decided to separate from the vehicle, no stomping needed. Fortunately the other wheel stayed on and I was able to safely park.

The Dude said...

I will work under a vehicle but only after I have lowered it onto jack stands and sections of logs so that even vigorous shaking of the vehicle won't make it move - a car on a jack is death lurking. Anyone who reclines under a car on a jack is not long for this life. Did I ever tell you what happens when the rescue squad has to do when they get the car off of your now stylishly thin body? No? Hmm, whatever was I thinking?

Did I ever tell you about the bike tour I did in Death Valley and how the name of that valley almost came true? No? Ask me some time.

Dad Bones said...

Great story XRay. You probably wouldn't have got far without it.

A car falling off ill placed or inadequate jack stands would be like accidentally discharging a gun. I wouldn't want to witness the rescue squad separating someone from a vehicle.

rhhardin said...

I get a bicycle flat about once a year. I carry a patch kit, tools, and a spare tube for those unpatchable punctures, but usually prefer to take a once-a-year walk home and change the tire there.

Always at least a half dozen people stop to offer me a lift, all having seen me every day riding the bike.

But what the hell, the walk once a year is nice.