Saturday, November 24, 2018

Rhett & Link, blindfold pizza tasting challenge

I would do poorly on this test. The best pizza I've tasted comes from a few blocks away. They age their dough and they use quality ingredients and it shows. Denver Pizza Co.

I called them one night with a few questions. The manager wanted to get off the phone, his impatience transmitted through his good telephone manners.

"I realize you're busy but one last thing if you will."

My last question was a statement that I had tried all the nearby pizzas and theirs is the best hands down and I told him why. I told him the things that I noticed. How they compared. How they reigned supreme. They use fresh jalapeño that roasts with the pizza and that's muy autentico, all the other places use tinned jalapeño or marinated that adds a weird inappropriate vinegar taste. Their crust is coated with cornmeal on top not just the bottom and that really does contribute great texture, where most pizza places use cornmeal as ballbearings to slide the raw pizza off the wooden peel into the oven. I told him I make a good pizza myself but to my distress Denver Pizza Co outdoes me and I've taken to copying their ways to improve mine.  I use them as model for fantastic pizza.

"We coat the entire dough ball in cornmeal before stretching it out."

"Oh! What a great idea. Great technique. I'm copying that."

The guy's attitude changed. He suddenly became talkative. He went on and on and on and on cheerfully talking about how they make pizzas, yakity yak without end about how they source their ingredients, designed their menu, have things not listed, treat their dough, train their staff, how it is working there, how satisfying it is, the hours they put in, how the business is going, the number of pizzas they sell, how they fit into the neighborhood, all the great feedback they get. And I'm all, "Will this guy ever shut up? Doesn't he have work to do?" Our phone impatience reversed.

Fifteen years ago I did have very good thin crust pizzas from Pizza Hut. I think. Their crust was like a cracker and the fillings loaded it up unreasonably and for some reason they cut the pieces into squares, and I could have lived off those pizzas, nutritious, I imagined, and then one night I called and they were taken off the menu and that ended that.

1 comment:

ricpic said...

I once made the mistake of asking another shopper whether the pizzas in the pizza case reduced to $2.99 were any good. She said, "I like them." Took one home. Like biting into a salt mine. And I'm not at all sophisticated food wise. But apparently there are many with even less discerning taste buds than mine.