Thursday, November 29, 2018

Payless opened a fake luxury store with $600 shoes

Payless took over a former Armani store in Santa Monica and stocked it with Payless merchandise then invited fashion people  to attend an opening party.
The goal was to remind customers that the retailer is a place to shop for affordable fashion.
That and to get footage that will be used for future advertisement.

Fortune. 

Twenty dollar shoes tossed together with glue in a Chinese slave factory are all well and good until they start falling apart on the fourth or fifth wearing.

End of story.

This story has immediate interest because I just now bought a pair of new boots. Wanna see em? They belong in a boot-museum. Literally. They're an old fashion type. Made with old fashion materials, the old fashion way. From Thursday Boot Co. Not like Payless who brag about tricking people. I have one pair already and I like them a lot. My first pair are a bit conservative and I kept thinking about the ones I didn't choose for their more extreme style and color. The purchase marked a change in my attitude. Up to this point I would not have purchased such things. Except for the previous pair like these that aren't Thursday's. And I think they look great with jeans or slacks. Not that it matters but the first pair are the only shoes I've ever worn that cause people to complement them. And boy, do they ever. And I think that's because 99% of all other men are wearing sneakers. And people do judge by your shoes.


¿Son caliente o que?

4 comments:

edutcher said...

Do the fashionistas know?

I can just hear the screams.

ampersand said...

I had high end shoes fall apart after a few wearings before China took over everything. That was almost 40 years ago.I don't know where they were manufactured at that time.
That was when some brand names were mistaken for quality.

MamaM said...

And people do judge by your shoes. Some people do. My mom did and I learned from her that opinions formed around outer appearance such as shoes often miss the heart of the matter. Shoes, hair, glasses, shirts, pants, coats, body weight and shape, handicaps and malformed or missing parts can all serve as a point of focus for those looking to assess and measure others by appearance. The possibilities are varied and endless.

Do the new boots fit like a glove? Are they comfortable? Easy to get on and off? Can you wear them for hours and not notice they're on?

If so, the compliments received on them sound like a nice extra

ColoradoJim said...

When I wear my cowboy boots I always get comments on them. I generally wear them as my formal or dressy shoes. A good pair once you break them in will fit you like a glove and you will not even notice that you are wearing them even after all day. I had some recurring foot arch problems and decided to put on my pair of cowboy boots that I probably had not worn in about 10 years. Like magic the foot arch pain disappeared. This despite zero cushioning in the insole. There are still some brands made in the USA with quality materials and craftsmanship. You can even get a pair resoled so that a well broken in boot continues to serve you for many more years with proper care. If you are willing to pay the money Denver has some custom cowboy boot makers. The downside to cowboy boots is that I have noticed that they are a bit more noisy than other shoes, almost tapshoe like with the heel hitting the ground. Also I wouldn't wear them on iced over sidewalks and roads with a smooth leather sole due to lack of traction. There are a ton of different leathers and styles out there to fit every look.