Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Pandora Problems


Lately I have sort of become addicted to Pandora. I might have posted about this before. In fact I know I posted that video about Three Dog Night before. Anyhoo I use Pandora all the time. I put it on while I am cooking or writing or just sitting around. It soothes me and lets me relax as I multitask. I had always had music on in the background to smooth off the rough edges.

I wanted to put Three Dog Night on because I had been nostalgic as usual. Listening to them makes me think of the old days of the 1960's when I used to  listen to top 40 on WABC AM radio. That was long before the free form hippie dippy FM radio like WNEW and WPLJ became the "cool" radio to listen too later in the decade. WABC played the same twenty songs over and over. Three Dog Night. Grand Funk Railroad. Cher. The Monkees. And these guys:


They had all the old DJ's spinning the hits. Dan Ingram. Dan Daniel. Of course Cousin Brucie. He was so famous he had a guy who sold beer at Yankee Stadium who copied him and called himself Cousin Brewski. They were the soundtrack of your life.

What is funny is when I programed a station with Three Dog Night I didn't get any of those bands. Instead I got Led Zeppelin and the Jefferson Airplane. If I wanted that I would have programed that. Instead I guess they lump everything together in the genre of "classic rock." I wanted easy listening frothy bubble gum rock and I got that stuff. What a pain in the ass. I didn't want to think about getting a Stairway to Heaven. I just wanted to be a Day Dream Believer.


4 comments:

windbag said...

I like Pandora. I subscribe so that I can skip tracks I don't like and not listen to commercials. I've discovered some great artists like Anders Osborne and Melody Gardot listening to Pandora. Over time, I found I had to skip tracks less and less. I wonder if it snoops into my i-Tunes library and sees what I like. Big Bad Voodoo Daddy's channel is good if you're into swing music. I just added them last week. I'm tired of Led Zep and never did like Jefferson What-Are-We-Calling-Ourselves-This-Decade? Airplane.

There's a feature you can clip "I'm tired of this track" so it'll stop playing a song you dislike. Unfortunately, Pandora goes by genre, so if you say you like the Beatles, but dislike The Rolling Stones, too bad, you're getting them anyway.

Nice that you checked in. I've been wondering where you're off to.

ricpic said...

The Monkees were underrated. Sure they weren't "authentic." So what? They were slickly professional unauthentic. Which is as legitimate a category as any other.

The Dude said...

I used to listen to Pandora but once I moved I let it go. Now I strictly look up tunes I like on YouTube.

I like some of the Monkee's business. Indeed, they were part of the soundtrack of those days. Beach Boys, too, at least for me.

Amartel said...

Love the more obscure Three Dog Night songs, like Mama Told Me (Not to Come) and Out in the Country. Joy to the World is just annoying at this point. The Monkees were great, too. A lot of acts are "manufactured" but the Monkees were just more open about it. Like the Beatles. I know, Heresy! But it's true. Also, Springsteen, didn't just wander out of Long Branch and start strumming and hollering his way to fame. He got help with the branding.