Friday, November 16, 2018

Imgur

Yesterday Imgur members were reminiscing their formative years. Millennials and Gen X were recalling their toys, their cartoons, television shows, films and music and their favorite candy, their clothes. It was actually quite boring. Seeing how shallow their remembrances of their decades, nothing beyond home and entertainment, made me sad. Swiping through I would see the key word and skip them. So I skipped 90% of the entries.

Then I thought, pick another category. Try recipes.

Good Lord, that's even sadder.

These people are raising children. These are the things that they're cooking for their families. There is not a single thing uploaded that you'd care to try. And that made me even more sad.

It's truly sad.

I cast back to when I was that age and not knowing anything useful about cooking. I looked back at my early mistakes. I recalled the dumb things that I did, how I followed a Betty Crocker cookbook to the letter. But I was never so pathetic as what I see now on Imgur. Check it out. Imgur/recipe.

Okay, I looked again and they're not so bad after all. I take it back. Sorry. The photographs are careless but the food is okay. I stand corrected, the kids are not doing so badly. I guess I was sad because they're all chile, soup and stews and ordinary pizzas. Let's say Imgur is not the place to go for ideas.




I don't know why this is part of it. 


8 comments:

The Dude said...

You put a ring through the nose of a hog to keep it from rooting out of its pen. Draw your own conclusions about the pig in that pic.

Chip Ahoy said...

I didn't know that.

I thought they were to attach a rope to lead them around by their nose.

ndspinelli said...

Ham/banana rolls sounds like Elvis food.

Rabel said...

All in favor of Chip making ham banana rolls say aye.

Aye.

ricpic said...

God's Key Ingredient

It's the boring people keep the world going on,
They don't throw themselves in a pond;
Neither do they quick resort to war:
Nothing really riles them, so what for?

ndspinelli said...

Aye.."Thank you very much."

ampersand said...

On a Burns and Allen episode Gracie has been chosen for jury duty. The neighbor made some concoction with jello, four bananas sticking out at the corners and cherries attached to bananas. Gracie thanked her and said she'll wear it to court.

Lileks has a whole series on Unfortunate food. Fifties food look like something grandma would have made if grandma worked in an industrial food factory.

chickelit said...

Speaking of childhood games, I would like to send Chip a board game that I saved from my childhood called Voice Of The Mummy. I figure it's got everything Chip likes: Egyptology and pop-ups. You can send it to your nephews. It's missing one plastic jewel and there is a problem with the control knob. There's a guy out there who specializes in fixing these games, though I don't know what he charges.

It's yours for the asking. These go for $$ on eBay.