Thursday, May 17, 2018

So there I was, out in the shop...

...working, and I heard Beethoven's 5th symphony on the radio. I listen to the local station, WCPE (no relation to Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach, mind you) and after reading and thinking about architecture so much over the last couple of days I was reminded of one of my favorite Simpsons episodes, wherein - well, rather than describing it, see for yourself:



This two minutes and forty nine seconds sums up both how Gehry works and how his work is received by the public. That's nice work, boys...

And for those of you who would like to follow along at home WCPE has a website and all kind of up-to-date ways for people all over the world to listen to their musical offerings. They are commercial-free, all classical all the time, and are listener supported only - no state money, no university ties, just whatever people chip in. Give them a listen - I don't always like everything they play but it is rare that their selections are truly annoying. Today they celebrated the birthday of Erik Satie - click. Never need to listen to anything by him again, ever. But most of the time it is totally copacetic.

2 comments:

ricpic said...

I have NO local classical music station to listen to! That's how culturally bereft upstate New York is. There is a classical music station in Syracuse that I can sort of pick up but only in the car. Talk about deprivation. There's a university here, Cornell, that brays about being Ivy League world class blah blah blah and no classical music station. The world has changed (to state the obvious).

The Dude said...

Get the WCPE app, trust me on this, it is a good station.