Saturday, January 18, 2020

I like Eggs!


Did you ever think about how many eggs you have eaten in your life?

We go through 2 dozen a week. Just today I used six. Two scrambled for me. Two for the french toast I made for the wife and the mother-in-law. Two for the Swedish meatballs I made for dinner. I am always using eggs to bread eggplant and chicken cutlets or for an egg wash for the apple pie I made yesterday.

Above is a photo of the simple scrambled eggs I had for breakfast with scallions. garlic and cheese on gluten free toast. I can't photograph it as nice as Chip and I don't have a great recipe like he would have to share with us.We miss you Chip come back soon. You are a good egg.


I might have told this story before but you know that I like to repeat myself. In the 1980's I was in Atlantic City at an autograph show where my brother wanted to get the 500 home run hitters on this photo he had. Joe D. Teddy Ballgame. Say Hey Willie. Harmon. Everybody that was alive at the time. Bonds and those other guys hadn't reached it yet. I was hanging around because I was going to the fights that afternoon. They had a card that was being broadcast on ABC's Wide World of Sports and I got comped. I still had some time to kill and my brother asked me to take care of the glove since the line for the baseball guys was like a thousand geeks long.

You see we had this boxing glove that we were trying to get all the heavy weight champions to sign. We had a couple already. Ali and George Foreman. This show had a whole bunch of them so I went to get it signed.

They had a separate area behind some curtains in the back. I go back there and I couldn't believe it. They had four heavyweight champs! You know what was crazy. Nobody was on line. In fact nobody was there except the Champs and one of their handlers. I go and get it signed and pay the fee. Nobody told me to leave so I start chatting with the puglists.

"Hey Joe I saw your worst fight ever." "What you mean? Clay in the Garden?" "Nah you bitch slapped some faggot on the Mike Douglas Show." "Get the fuck outta here with that bullshit man. That pure-de-bullshit motherfucker." After that we were pals.

You see famous acting fag  Ryan O"Neil had a boxing movie coming out so they set up an exhibition on the Mike Douglas show so they could showcase his proneness. They picked an up and coming heavyweight prospect to spar with. Since the show was out of Philly they picked Smokin' Joe of all people. It was such a fucking farce. Joe just covered up while this mook danced around and sent out weak jabs like he won the Gold Medal or something. It was ridiculous.

So we are laughing and jiving and having a grand old time. Joe was a on a role telling stories and shitting on Ali. Leon Spinks tried to participate but who could understand the toothless motherfucker and Jersey Joe even piped up here and there.  But Larry Holmes didn't say a word. He was just leaning back in his chair with his hands clasped around his rather increased waist. Finally he leaned forward, Joe Frazier looked at him and goes "Wassup Larry." Larry looks right at me and goes...I like eggs."

Joe went nuts. He was busting on him and playing the dozens with Michael Spink's mumbling along as well. Larry just sat back and smiled.

I with you Larry.

I like eggs.


24 comments:

chickelit said...

I'm into soft-boiled eggs these days. I love the ritual of perching it, cracking it, cutting it, peeling it, salting it, and scooping it.

chickelit said...

I'm making cheese dip in a sour dough bowl in honor of the NFL match up tomorrow.

The Dude said...

Perched eggs - I like it.

I eat two eggs a day. No more, no less. Two. Fourteen a week, week after week.

Okay, that's on normal, non-holiday days. During the holidays I may have no eggs per day or a friend will bring me a plate full of deviled eggs which leads to me having more eggs per day. You are what you eat, after all.

ricpic said...

The perfect food. And for decades the "experts" said they were dangerous. Insane.

ricpic said...

I Like Ike
And I like eggs
And Adlai's a big doody;
Trump likes 'em in his Egg McMuffin,
He's no friggin' foodie!

ricpic said...

Hey Troop, when're you gonna post the post to end all posts on the lovely Meghan?

chickelit said...

ricpic said...Hey Troop, when're you gonna post the post to end all posts on the lovely Meghan?.

That might be too controversial.And it would suggest an entire new series for mad writing skilz.

MamaM said...

A good egg and a duff cede.

ampersand said...

You are what you eat, after all.

You're saying Humpty Dumpty was a cannibal?

chickelit said...

We miss you Chip come back soon. You are a good egg.

Sixty Grit and his damn "arboreality." Remember that Sixty dismissed the very good series "Justified" because of his arboreality.

Ignore it, Chip.

chickelit said...

Green Bay is looking terrible and I'm bored.

The Dude said...

You are correct, CL, and on another subject, I want to thank you for your advice on sprouting leopard lilies - today, for the first time, after years of trying, one of my leopard lily seeds sprouted. Sadly it is the middle of winter here and I might have to figure out where I can move the peat pot to where the plant can be safe up until the last frost of the season, which could be months from now. But I have a sprout! Thank you for your directions.

deborah said...

I finally got around to (binge) watching Justified. Came for the Raylan, stayed for the Boyd.

It was shot on location in Harlan County, KY, as I understand. What were wrong with the trees?

The Dude said...

One scene in the first episode was shot in West By God Virginia, the rest was filmed in California. The hills were sere, the highways were all California highways, there were pepper trees - PEPPER TREES! for goodness sake beside people's driveways. It's as if they weren't even trying. They went up into the hills and what did we see? Sugar pines, ponderosa pines, not a southern yellow pine as far as the eye could see. Dry ground, no understory trees - not a laurel, redbud or dogwood for miles - just granite and dust. Not Kentucky, sorry.

The Dude said...

Oh yeah, Boyd stole that whole series, without a doubt.

chickelit said...

See what I mean about arboreality, Deborah?

Funny that you mention leopard lilies, Sixty. I put about a dozen of those that you sent me in the fridge in damp paper towels to "stratify" about 2 weeks ago. Today I pulled them out and transferred them to little pods for germination. Hopefully they will sprout in a couple weeks in total darkness.

When did you start your clowder -- I mean Crowder?

The Dude said...

I bought some peat pots last year, soaked them, then put the seeds in them early in January. I had about a thousand seeds, so I ordered some more peat pots and currently I have close to 200 of them sitting in the closet, with their feet wet, in the dark, and now, apparently, sprouting. I hope I can successfully transfer them to my flowerbed (as yet unprepped) in the spring.

I have been giving the excess seeds to my friends in ASL class, with the explanation that they are difficult, to say the least, to propagate. Any seeds that remain will get planted in my future LL bed.

But I have a sprout!

chickelit said...

But I have a sprout!

They are cute when they're tiny. You see just a single green blade emerge. As MamaM would attest, the color is Nature's hardest hue to hold -- sort of gold but technically chloros-green. If fed sunlight, more blades will emerge.

The Dude said...

Lacking rods and cones I will have to take your word for it. It looks white.

chickelit said...

Last year I only got 3 out of 10 of my seeds to germinate. I planted them outside eventually in different places to see what kind of sunlight they liked. The healthiest of the three actually "died" last fall but I noticed a few weeks ago that it propagated, splitting in two and creating 2 little ones alongside the original. I don't know what's going on here -- drainage, sunlight, temperature. I will rejoice when I get one to actually flower.

chickelit said...

Sixty Grit said...
Lacking rods and cones I will have to take your word for it. It looks white.

Let there be light before you raise a bunch of Edgar Winter lilies!

The Dude said...

The bulb remains tuberous! Yay!

While searching for seeds last fall I found the majority of the leopard lilies I encountered in the wild grew on the edge of the woods, facing west. Kind of matches where I found the volunteers in my yard - partial shade, some direct sunlight, but not full sun all day long.

Is there a Procol Haram variety of lily?

deborah said...

I guess I took the message at the end, thanking the people of Harlan for their cooperation, too seriously. It looked all foresty to me.

MamaM said...

Noting aberrant glyphs and signs, A-OK
Noting aberrant arbor realities, Bad Dog!

Abhorrent is the word that came up to correct my misspelling of aberrant. No, not quite, but close.

Walking on eggshells
On the path between
Taking things seriously
And not taking things
Seriously enough
Wondering with each crunch
If flight or fight left
The nest emptied
While asking, Where's the yoke?