Monday, January 27, 2020

Ginger or Marjoram

The mother-in-law has a bad case of the flu. I think she gave a Chinaman the kiss of peace or something and she has been pretty sick which is significant if you are 81 like her. So I have been making a lot of soups to warm her up and give her some nourishment. Now of course I made my normal chicken soup from scratch but I try to mix it up and give some variety. So I ask the eternal question:

Ginger or Marjoram?

2 cups chicken stock preferable low sodium
2 cups water
1 cup orzo or tubatini or ance pepe or pastene or some other small guinea macaroni
1/2 cup minced marjoram
2 eggs
6 tablespoons grated cheese (Not Kraft ricpic)

Put the chick stock and water in a pot and bring to a boil. Throw in the macaroni and cook it in the broth. Mince up the marjoram or chop it up in the food processor. Put it in a bowl with some grated cheese and break the two eggs in it and smush it all around. Pour this mess into the broth and stir it all around after you take it off the heat. Serve hot.



2 cups chicken stock preferentially low sodium
2 cups water
8 garlic gloves finely sliced
8  thin slices of fresh ginger
2 cups of egg noodles

Sautee the garlic and ginger in olive oil until soft. Add the stock and the water and bring to a boil. Throw in the egg noodles and cook them until soft. You know with soft is I don;t have tell you since that prostate thing. Garnish with some diced parsley.

Two quick and easy recipes. Of the mother-in-law wouldn't eat them so I had to make more home made chicken soup. Still these are quick and easy soups. So I askes ya?

Ginger or Marjoram?

6 comments:

The Dude said...

You are a funny guy, Troops. Neither is the correct answer for the spices, both is the correct answer for the actresses. Gilligan knew.

ricpic said...

"(not Kraft ricpic)"

Okay, so I'm a philistine, I admit it.

My Bubbe put the usual carrots and celery in but she also put in a kind of ferny (like a fern) vegetable and also a white root type vegetable and I remember the globules of fat floating in the yellowish liquid, on the surface..but not too much fat...it was good.

deborah said...

I used to put the teeniest pinch of curry powder in my chicken noodle soup. Not enough to know there was curry.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

deborah, the old trick was some cinnamon (in pasta sauce or soups). Tiny pinch. Curry usually has cinnamon in it. Hot pepper also works in soup in tiny amounts.

deborah said...

Cool, Evi, hadn't heard of that. Or maybe my daughter did mention that for chili. I'll have to ask her. Or was it cocoa powder?

deborah said...

I texted her. It was cinnamon for Cincinnati Chili, which she does not make.