Thursday, January 16, 2020

WKRLEM TV EL Ministerio del Tiempo




One of the best things about Netflixs is that they have TV series from other countries. I know that most of you have seen some British shows since they are often on PBS. But you seldom get to see stuff from France or Germany or Sweden. Lately I have been watching some of them with English subtitles. I saw a pretty decent cop show from Denmark and an interesting show about a terrible fire in 1880 in France. Currently I am really enjoying a Spanish show called "El Ministerio del Tiempo" or the Ministry of Time.

It is a basic time travel story. A secret division of the Spanish government has a means to go back in time to make sure that no one tries to change history. It is basically a series of doors. Simplicity is best. There is no big tech or spaceships or crap like that. Just a door that you walk through, So one minute it's 2019 and then it is 1492. They set up a team of three who back in time. A hidalgo soldier from Flanders. A modern day paramedic.. A female college student from 1885. What is most interesting to me is that they are dealing with Spanish history. Spanish art and literature. Stuff that I am vaguely familiar with so when the wife turns to me to ask what it is about and I have to think about it for a minute. Usually when she turns to me for an explanation I have the knowledge at my fingertips. Spanish history not so much. So it is very intriguing to me.

In the first episode they go back to the Napoleonic era and the next they visit a famous Spanish author, Each week they visit a different era. Franco's Spain in WW2. Queen Isabella in 1492. The Spanish American War. Interesting stuff. At least to me.

The other amusing thing is that the producers of this show sued the producers of the American TV show "Timeless" for ripping off their concept. In "Timeless" three characters go back in time to make sure that the timeline doesn't change. A soldier. A professor. A pilot. They changed it slightly but it is still a rip off.

Anyway if you can stand subtitles I recommend it highly. If you are a history buff like me.

Via Con Dios.

9 comments:

The Dude said...

You are watching this because the ship in "The Expanse" is named Rocinante, right? Do you have the correct hat?

Trooper York said...

You got me.

Actually I am finding learning about Spanish history enlightening. I have a basic knowledge about most of it but go on my phone to get more details. It is pretty enjoyable.

The Dude said...

So Don Quixote is a true story, right? Right?

Trooper York said...

Of course it was.

He opened the first wind energy company.

The Dude said...

So his sidekick was not Sancho, rather it was Greta? Interesting...

edutcher said...

Via Con Dios.?

What would Roy Rogers and Gene Autry say?

deborah said...

All the stuff I'm waiting for hasn't come out, or they want me to pay for now. E.g. the ninth season of Vera. I thought the eighth was supposed to be the last.

Marcella
Fortitude (is out, but it hasn't been decided if Amazon will show it)
White Spot
The Forest
Flowers (a Schitts Creek-like dark comedy with the divine Olivia Coleman)
Hinterland
Endeavour
Haunting of Hill House
Fleabag was excellent, but I don't know if there will be more.
and lots more I can't think of right now

And I thought Doc Martin had its last season, but there is one more now. BritBox plus Acorn is about ten dollars a month. Tired of being nickled and dimed to death, after having had them included in Prime.

Trooper York said...

You need to get the Amazon Firestick. Then you can download Cyberflix and you will get all the
latest movies and every episode of the TV show so you don't have to wait to see it.

That lets you screw the big conglomerates like Disney and the cable TV companies.

deborah said...

Thanks for the tip. Also, Ozark, Better Call Saul, Kiss Me First, The Break, Bosch etc. I meant Black Spot before.

There is so much good stuff I will cut something off really fast these days.