Wednesday, January 29, 2020

CVS Vignette.....Back off Aunt RIta...cause it's a small world after all!


Now when I had my sing-a-long at CVS another thing happened that was pretty funny.

This imperious old Irish woman had demanded to see the manager and she was berating him. You see there is a cashier who works there who is Jamaican who is pretty hard to understand. She has a very thick accent and she slurs her words like she had too much ganja on her lunch break. She is nice enough but when she is on duty we go to the self service line. Or we wait for the girl in the wheelchair or the forty year old punk rocker with the pink hair and the forty facial piercings.

You see CVS is a microcosm of America.

Anyway she is yelling at the manager. "How can you have someone working here like that? I can't understand anything she is saying. She talks so low. Why did you hire some one like that. She can't even speak English! Say something I am talking to you."

You see she was a nasty imperious bitch like my Aunt Rita. And someone else you might know.


We were just walking by on the way to the line at Pharmacy. I turn to the wife and tell her "This is a microcosm of the America right here." Oh and the manager. Well he looked like this:

"I am very very sorry Mrs. I will try to do better in my hiring practices in the future."

You have to laugh.

So we are leaving and the wife is backing out of our handicapped spot. And who comes barreling out of the store but Aunt Rita. She pushes her shopping cart right behind us and we have to stop because she would have been run over. The wife waves at her to go but she pulls back to let us back out. She even gives some hand signals to help as we are leaving. We drive away and think nothing of it.

Postscript: Today we had to get the car inspected. There was a whole saga involved in that. But to make a long story short we leave the car at the shop and go across the road  to this tiny hole in the wall diner. Now I know it is good because all the working men from the auto shops come in to eat. Great comfort food. Burgers. Frankfurters. Chili. Meatloaf. I have a delicious burger served on rye bread with fries, coleslaw and a pickle. I was in freaking heaven. Now the way this joint is set up there is a four top against the wall and a two seater right next to it cheek to jowl. We sit down at the four top and are chowing down and guess who walks in and sits next to us? That's right. Aunt Rita. With a date.

As she is sitting down she looks at us and says "I know you." We are laughing she walked in and explain to her how she knows us. It's a small fucking world after all. We eat and chat and tell stories and have some fun. She is a nasty old cunt but I charmed her. That's my specialty.

The punchline?

Her date was a black dude.

Only in America.

3 comments:

edutcher said...

The redhead wasn't the picture I was expecting.

Anywho, in Jamaica, mon, they speak something called patois. Which is a mix of slang, Ebonics, English, and Spanglish.

The Blonde, of all people, understands it. I'm lucky if I catch the odd word.

ricpic said...

I thought you could get thrown in the clinker for complaining about a dreamer's lack of english skills?

ricpic said...

I remember growing up in Brooklyn noticing a certain kind of old Irish woman who turned into a witch. They were everywhere. The old Italian women didn't get that witchy look, they grew mustaches. Hey, a kid notices things.