Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Hyperbole and a Half

Would you like to read something hilarious?

The blog by Allie is written between 2009-2013, and that's like, what, five years ago. I cannot lift any words or pictures because all of that is protected by the copyright monster who will kill me.

This story is about power. And not to trust giving that power to a 4 year old. Allie recalls her first Halloween where her parents dressed her up as a crayon which led to internal conflict and confusion. There was no way Allie could embody the persona of a crayon.

The second year they gave her a dinosaur costume and she instantly became a dinosaur with reptilian power she did not comprehend. She embodied unknowable power doing things she did not understand as a strange creature with unknown motivations and wild reptilian impulses, she wrecks havoc with everything that she touches in all of her children's spaces.

Allie illustrates her stories with deplorably drawn illustrations. It's one of those cases where not being an artist doesn't stop a person from drawing and they really do add to the storytelling considerably.

The blog has an avid following. The post is just short of 1,000 comments, mostly just laudatory expressions of pleasure. Allie turned her posts into a book.

3 comments:

The Dude said...

I remember reading her work back in the day, then she went crazy and disappeared. So it goes.

Rabel said...

I worked for a living yesterday. Got paid. First time in a long time.

A good friend who drives around a lot for a couple of different jobs was having car trouble and his wife had a doctor's appointment and he needed to go to Memphis and pick some things up and drop them off somewhere else.

He asked me if I would take him in my car. It sounded like a good road trip and so I said sure. There would be a stop a Graceland included as part of the gig. What more could one want?

Nearing home at the end of the day we stopped for gas and as he was paying for it with his credit card he asked how much he should pay me. "One hundred dollars be OK" he asked as he pulled some twenties out of his wallet.

I laughed and said no thanks and then reconsidered and said "wait, give me a twenty." He did.

That came to a sparkling two dollars per hour for the ten hour trip. Winning!

Funny thing is that it actually felt pretty good to get paid for working even if it was only a courtesy payment. However, it didn't feel good enough to make a habit out of it.

Please don't snitch me out to the IRS as I don't plan on reporting the income.

Joe Biden, America's Putin said...

I hate to break it to you, but I doubt that 20 covered your gas.