Monday, November 20, 2017

Street food tour, Bejing

Want to see something really gross? Stick with it. Actually most of it's fine.

I cannot get over how much this guy looks like my friend whose BUTT HOLE ITCHES when he eats MSG accidentally. Oops. I was supposed to whisper that in light gray and small print but it came out bold again. And it's surprising how well he speaks Chinese. Got me. I wasn't expecting that. If you decide to stick with the video all the way through you'll love these two by the end of it. Pay attention to what his companion says. She's a doll. And there isn't that much actual street food. Most of it is in restaurants and I wonder if they ate all this in one day. It gets a bit raunchy but they do recover by the ending with something pleasant and interesting. I'm fascinated with how facile he is with breaking the ice with each vendor. It's his manner that wins each one over. He sticks with standard greetings and platitudes and it works minor wonders in each encounter. They seem delighted this white guy treats them with respect. I learned from this.



1 comment:

MamaM said...

Watching that was difficult, but I stuck it out. The amount of peppiness almost did me in, along with a longing for something I couldn't name but experienced in Japan, possibly the sense of community and individuality present in the easy to access shops and people manning and frequenting them.

The lungs and intestines were too much, but the care taken to put it together and present it impressed. The point of the stinky bean soup was beyond me, as even they, with seemingly cast irons stomachs didn't have the wherewithal to finish the bowl or even dig half heatedly into it.

Close but far was my sense when it was over. A world unavailable to me now and not something I'd enter into or trust in my earlier years. Yet the invitation to find and walk into the duck shop felt overwhelmingly strong.