Thursday, November 30, 2017

Pow-Wow Chow

The last link added to J.J. Sefton's list of morning links at Ace goes to Steyn Online post on Washington's Redskin. Meaning Elizabeth Warren. His article is about the sturm and drang of progressives over evolving, malleable and fungible self-serving categories of racism. Steyn is very clever.

But lookie.


Is that a signed first edition, or what?

Treasure!

Now I want one. Even if the recipes are terrible. Ever have Indian bread? I did one time on 16th St. Mall. Bleh.

That's a different cover from the ones that I saw on Amazon. .


The discussion about that being racist but this isn't racist is impossible to sort because it's not meant to be. It's racist when you do it but not racist when I do it. It's racist when Trump calls a white woman Pocahontas but not racist for that white woman to take the academic spot carved out for a native. And not racist for that women to include a plagiarized caucasian recipe from a caucasian hotel in a cookbook billed as recipes handed down through generations of Oklahoma Cherokee tribe members. In a cookbook titled Pow-Wow Chow. 

The book is presently unavailable on Amazon.

Abebooks has copies starting at $50.00.

FIFTY DOLLARS !!!111111?!!!111?

Have their minds overturned like birchbark canoes in roiled waters?  Have their minds been flung like crooked arrows?

Maybe I had best read reviews first. 

* I'm confused; each recipe calls for 0/32 measurements of ingredients -- that doesn't add up to anything. I have serious reservations about these recipes.

* Oh, me too! Is there some sort of group I can join to share my consumer heritage?

* So she is "a respected.....consumer"? Holy smokes, I didn't realize until now that we belonged to the same tribe.

* Why is this book so hard to find? The reviews are fantastic and I want to try the recipes, esp. the 'Wampum Humble Pie'. Plus I have a goose that needs to be cooked...

* Three years in the making, Recipes for Disaster is the long-awaited follow-up to Warren's notorious first book, Pow Wow Chow. This 624-page manual complements the romance and idealism of that earlier work with practical information and instruction. Over thirty tribes collaborated in testing, composing, and editing the book's 62 sections, which range from Affinity Groups, Coalition Building, How to Beat Republicans and Mental Health to Sabotaging the Liberals, Squatting, and Wheatpasting.

* According to the book, you are supposed to insist that a particular ingredient is in the dish, instead of it actually being there.

* You can't call recipes submitted by a pretindian from the Wannabe tribe "Indian recipes!" This book needs to be to be moved to the fiction section!

* This book has the receipes by Liarwatha but no mention of her tribe the Fukowees. We need to know if she is lying now or lying then...

* I especially loved the recipe for Phony Baloney contributed by Lizzie W!

* Lizzie warden made a lie,
Beat out every teaching guy,
Then roused up the Occupy,
Now it's time she said goodbye.

* I have wanted to try the 19th century crab recipes Warren's great, great, great Grandmother passed down to Lizzy, but I have yet to find Oklahoma crabs anywhere. Have they gone extinct?

* Sen. Warren gave me a copy of this book then she took it back.

* I expected to at least have some wine pairings. Very disappointing to have recipes that don't rise to proper sophistication.

* Overall this selection is lacking and has just a few good recipes inside. One for Humble Pie and another for Roasted Crow.

* I find that cooking these recipes over an open backyard campfire while wearing the Three Wolf Moon T-shirt (also sold here on Amazon!) really helps me to better understand the tragedy of Native American Experience. Plus, that Cochise Crème Brûlée is yummy! When my pissed off neighbors tossed a smallpox blanket over the fence (because of the smoke and maybe the tom-tom, I guess) a tear rolled slowly down my cheek and I looked up toward the Great God of the Sky. I felt just like Iron Eyes Cody when he sees a litterbug.

* "What we have here is a failure to Crock Pot!" - Billy Jack

"I found the Wounded Knee Osso Bucco to be just FABULOUS!!!" - Felipe Rose (Look him up... I did...)

"What?! I am the wrong kind of Indian! I am a DOT, not a FEATHER! Don't ask me!" - Dr. Sanjay Gupta

"The whole thing just makes us proud." - Paul Revere and the Raiders.


Wow. These positive reviews got me excited. Now I really want this book. A lot of reviewers, who you can tell all definitely read this book, talked about Warren's high cheekbones but I don't know if that's relevant. They only need to be 1/32 high anyway. 

3 comments:

Amartel said...

"Pow Wow Chow" sounds kind of appropriative.
And problematic.
Highly problematic.

Amartel said...

Also, Faux stole the recipe that she did contribute from some restaurant in New York City. The Pavilion.
Also, Faux's recipe is for crabcakes or something not really found in Oklahoma, the land of her people per Ant Bea.

AllenS said...

Heap big book. Ugg.