Sunday, November 26, 2017

Denver citizens respond poorly to joke

Young people set up shop in an historic area of Denver, Five Points, characterized by it high concentration of long-term black residents. They opened a tattoo parlor named Ink. They're young. They have a new word. Gentrification. But they had no idea of the emotion loaded into the word by residents of the community being gentrified when used by the parties doing the gentrification. So this simple sign, a joke actually, set off a firestorm. The reaction surprised and dismayed the new owners. They learned a powerful lesson quickly.


The backlash was ridiculous and immediate, due to social media and due to the racial element. It went viral on two exemplars of stoicism, Twitter and Facebook, the mayor got involved. The owners and operators hastened with apologies that were rejected. A protest was organized immediately for Saturday.


Incidentally. This is what gentrification looks like in Five Points, Denver. 


Activists are responding to the word. Not to the thing. That's how touchy the subject when combined with race. A tattoo parlor in no way actually gentrifies a neighborhood. They're not coming in with money and they're not upgrading the neighborhood. It was a joke!

A black man entered my apartment to discuss something else. I mentioned to him something that just happened that would interest him. Grace extended to me by a resident on my floor right before the visitor came in, another black male. "I must look worse than I am, because I didn't need any help getting in. These millennials are blowing my mind." 

The term "millennial" triggered this recent Five Points gentrification effrontery even though the guy lives in this building and not in Five Points. The idea of millennials making this mistake cracked me up so hard I laughed my guts out. It's a very stupid mistake and it's very funny especially when it's a tattoo parlor that doesn't gentrify anything. My gut was splitting from laughing so hard, and that caused my guest to laugh too. He's angry and worked up about the perceived racial injustice but he's also laughing at me finding it so funny. "Only you, Chip. Leave it to you." As he is laughing.

Later he told me why this upsets him so much that he joined the Twitter mob.

Would you care to see what Five Points looks like? I hopped a train just to see where it goes. I got on at Buckhorn Exchange in the projects. The train goes through downtown, through Five Points, then back through downtown and back to Buckhorn. The houses and business are interesting.  I think it's an interesting photostream.  I already showed it here.

7 comments:

AllenS said...

Thanks for the trip around Denver.

chickelit said...

I saw a band called the "Meat Puppets" at a Five Points venue back in the "80s. It was sketchy back then.

Chip Ahoy said...

Two gorgeous black women took me there for fried chicken and soul food. I felt honored. And it was very good fried chicken too. Greasy as h-e-double chicken legs. All the rest was like a picnic. Styrofoam cup, plastic forks, paper plate.

A massage guy I went to lived there.

And the train passes by a DMV that I used to go to. (The metal fence with the partial peace signs built into it) It's a neato-mosquito area. I like going there.

The Dude said...

"Site"? Fer reelz?

edutcher said...

Blacks are told they must hate gentrification.

How dare white people bring money into a community of color?

ndspinelli said...

Gentrification is primarily white liberals.

Chip Ahoy said...

Sixty, I didn't understand that either.

Out of sight, or out of the geologic site?

Plus, your out of your mind.

Well, ewer out of you're mind.