Wednesday, May 27, 2020

The Hot Corner


Talking about third basemen made me think of one of my all time favorite Yankees. Celerino Sanchez.

He was a dumb Mexican who was called up to play third base because Rich McKinney was a total bust. You see McKinney was traded to the Yankees from the White Sox. We gave up a really good pitcher Stan Banshen for this piece of shit. I was at the game where he made four errors. Four errors. It was my first visit to Fenway Park and I had to hide my head in shame because of this douche weasel.

So they promoted a Mexican to do the work that a white American didn't want to do. Play third base without making an error every other play. Celerino was pretty good. He made some nifty plays in the field and was an ok hitter. He had no power but he put the ball in play. He was very exciting in the field.

He was on of the first minor league players who came up and started out great that I followed with the Yankees. Many others followed. He lost out because the next year we traded for Graig Nettles and he was off the team. Celerino later had a long career in the Mexican league.

I still vividly remember when he came up from the minors. You can't get that excited about baseball anymore.

Damn shame.

1 comment:

The Dude said...

Was his nickname "Dirty"?