Thursday, May 7, 2020

I finally know someone who supposedly died of the coronavirus


I know a lot of people. From living in New York and working in and around Times Square for thirty years and having the store and all the bullshit I have done in my life. With all of those people I did not know anyone who died because of this corona virus bullshit until today. Jimmy Glenn has passed.

They have the story in today's New York Post. Jimmy was 89 so he had a good run. He was a fixture at his bar on 44th Street where he was surrounded with boxing photos from his long career as a trainer. In the early eighties I would eat lunch in there about three times a week. Now he didn't serve food at the time. A couple of guys from the office and I would go and get our shoes shined next door. Then we would hit the chinks to get a take out and bring it to the bar to drink our lunch. The bar tender was an old friend of mine from when he was the day guy at The Quiet Man. So we would sit and watch the tv and enjoy a lunch on a slow summer day.

Later it would be a place to hit when we did a pub crawl. Jimmy might be in the bar then and we would catch up. I think he was managing Terence Ali at the time. I had tickets to the boxing shows at the Felt Forum and would sometimes see him there. He was a class act all the way.

I think he is like 90% of the people who are succumbing to this virus. He was old and with health problems. If it wasn't this it would have been the regular flu or pneumonia. It's is a shame but no reason to shut the whole country down. You know if we could ask Jimmy I think he would agree. He was a very sensible guy

RIP Jimmy. Hoist a couple in Heaven for me.

4 comments:

edutcher said...

Actually, there's on a 3/4 of 1% chance your bud died from the Chinese Floozy.

He may have had it, but it's unlikely it killed him.

PS Looks like Trump is getting ready to put the hammer down on the lockdown IMHO; he's questioning the body count and tossed CDC's guidelines for opening up restaurants. Add to that Flynn's exoneration and I think that it's gonna be a hot time in the old town pretty soon.

ndspinelli said...

Boxing is now a clown show. Good guys like Jimmy were pushed out.

Amartel said...

One less great character in the neighborhood.
Sorry for your loss. RIP.

ampersand said...

Now is a great time for the mob to tie up loose ends, NY will just add them to the list of covid victims.